Stihl chain - PMC vs. PS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I've been trying to figure out the difference between the PMC and the PS chains from Stihl. Any literature that includes info on one, has none on the other, so it's difficult to compare. In fact, I'm suspecting the PS may simply be the new name for the PMC, but perhaps not.

Can anyone definitively name the differences between these two chains? Pictures would help!

PS is Picco Super. I've only seen/heard of PS3 which is a 3/8" Picco Low-Kickback (green label) Full-Chisel chain. The only full-chisel Picco chain that I know of. :cool:

PMC is yellow label semi-chisel chain. But AFAIK it's no longer being produced. You may still find a bunch of it in dealer/distributor inventory however.

The current Stihl B&C catalog does not list any yellow-label 3/8" Picco chains anymore. :eek: Gonna miss those. :(

So between the PSC3 and PMC3 options, it will depend on how you use the saw. PM will stay sharp longer and tolerate dirtier wood but PS should be a faster chain, albeit requiring more frequent sharpenings. Exactly the same comparison of RM and RS chain on the bigger saws.

http://www.stihlcatalog.com/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.5.9.11&BookCode=pta&PageLabel=33&from=2

Reactions: Ashful
Awesome. Thanks, MM!

Almost forgot to add, I had seen Scotty Overkill recommend PS3. I have two PMC3's for my little Husq.T435 now, based on dealer recommendation. I'm going back to pick up more chains for three of my saws today, and was just trying to figure out which I'd request. Usage for this saw varies so much, I can't really say "how I use it," but it's mostly for limbing trees on the ground. I rarely grab it if I'm planning to cut something over 8" diameter, but sometimes I'm already using it for cleaning up smaller stuff, and come across something over 8". It's a little weak and easy to stall running the PMC3, but I do think it's tuned a tad rich.

Side note, I like the -3 chains. The little bump stop seems to work really well at preventing kickback with the nose of the bar, without slowing you down like those hateful raised tie straps. I'm running RSC-3 chain on my big saw.

I was thinking I was looking at Woodland Pro chains for my 170 and they had a full-chisel. If one were to get bored they could check that out at Bailey's

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks MM. I dig that catalog.

So, I went an entirely different direction, with one more loop of yellow-label chain for each saw. This was based on dealer recommendation, and what he had stocked on spools. The guys who work at this dealer are also cutters, so they usually know their stuff. Me... not so much.

Stihl 064 - Carlton equivalent to 28" Stihl RSC
Echo 510EVL - 20" Stihl RSC
Husq.T435 - Oregon equivalent to 14" Stihl PMC

No -3's!

Status
Not open for further replies.