Still Burning, Anyone Else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still burning? Kind of a silly question here in northern Minnesota, where below freezing temperatures yet occur nearly every night, and where snow fell a couple of days ago and remains in the forecast. Maybe try June as the first month without wood burning, and September as the first month to resume.

Yep, northern NH too. Still snow in the yard, 41 degrees and raining. SO still burning. Not every day though. Almost done.

Unless time, gasoline and equipment are free, the wood is not free.
I must be the only one burning free wood. Before i had a wood stove i had to either take my scrap wood (which i get a lot of)to the landfill and pay $100 a ton to dump it or out to the the country to burn it ,taking time and gas to get rid of it. So in effect im saving money by not having to do that.

Last edited:
Back to burning for the next 4-6 days it would appear. Nice medium hot burns the next three days probably full loads of junk elm that burn 14-18 hours then back to turning her farther down and making those loads last 22-24 hours for a couple days after that. Really appreciating the new stove in this bizarre shoulder season we are having.

2nd time all season that I hit the oil heat on, most painful 20min I endured in a while.

Reactions: Dix
Loaded one stove this morning. 55F and cloudy, today.

Back to burning for the next 4-6 days it would appear. Nice medium hot burns the next three days probably full loads of junk elm that burn 14-18 hours then back to turning her farther down and making those loads last 22-24 hours for a couple days after that. Really appreciating the new stove in this bizarre shoulder season we are having.

I am finding that if I turn the thermostat down to minumum after the wood is pretty much done offgassing, I can still have a 250-300° stovetop 30 hours later. I wouldn't call it a burn at that point, but it's a perfect amount of heat for a 60° day. Not bad for a 2.5cf insert.

I do imagine that this practice is crudding up my flue fairly quickly, but it doesn't cost me anything to run a brush through it.

Reactions: huauqui
Free wood here for sure. I actually get paid to take down trees in my excavating company and have to remove trees from jobsite so I am not complaining that I put time into splitting. Yes my wife loves it.

Brrrr. After being out for days the stove is running again. Mid 40'sF this afternoon. Heading south tonight. I'd listened to the forced air fan enough (very loud). Away we go again!

I am finding that if I turn the thermostat down to minumum after the wood is pretty much done offgassing, I can still have a 250-300° stovetop 30 hours later. I wouldn't call it a burn at that point, but it's a perfect amount of heat for a 60° day. Not bad for a 2.5cf insert.

I do imagine that this practice is crudding up my flue fairly quickly, but it doesn't cost me anything to run a brush through it.

Get a cat stove! My BKs go 36 hours, active cat burn, without dirtying the flue.

40's F and raining today, fired up the stove this morning.

I had my last fire last weekend, on somewhat chilly nights I’ve been using my kerosene parlor lamp which uses a mantle, gives off a pleasant light and some nice heat.

ditto on 40 and firing stove- cranking along as i type

Thought I was going to be done but with possible snow over the weekend I had to get it up and going again. Just as well it just feels better when the stove is running.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Huauqui, what kind of stove do you have?

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

No fire in 2 days... the last one at night with 40F cranked the house to 85F for a while :p.

Just going to let the OB kick in as needed (550 gallon tank is full after 6 years of O not in service !!)

Going to 80F here tomorrow... not sad about it at all !

You guys still here? Had to use the AC in the car today!

What a wuss :)

85 in suit and tie, I wussed big time.

It wasn't 85, unless you were to the west. I was in Ronk..... 75, maybe.

KOTC, just because :)

Reactions: jatoxico
We are finally trying to kiss 60F but with many wet interruptions.

For me here today the high 44, during the night will drop 32 and for tomorrow 40 the high and can drop to 28 thru the night, Sunday will pick up a little and Monday highs in the low 70s and 40s a night. Crazy weather.