Still Burning, Anyone Else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just fired off the PE.... down to 35F here in the Hollow tonight, and damp rain for the next 2 days.

Firewood inside is good to go, going to bring in some kindling before it gets soaked, just incase :mad:

That's funny... I am about 14 miles west of you, and it's 10 degrees warmer here according to the NWS.

Still supposed to hit 39 tonight. :|

Reactions: Dix
That's funny... I am about 14 miles west of you, and it's 10 degrees warmer here according to the NWS.

Still supposed to hit 39 tonight. :|

Always about 10 degrees cooler here.... just walked the Murph, it's 30F here at 5:40 AM. Temps match Westhampton in the Pine Barrens, usually.

42 degrees here in central jersey. My gas furnace just kicked on !!!
Might light up wood stove after work tonight with rain all day for friday and cold

Looking at the weather forecast, it looks like I'll be firing back up for a few days.

Unusual here to burn in May but as my kids would say, "so yeah, that happened."

Reactions: cookin2night
Wifey was chilly...been burning small fires of pine all day.

Did not think I would be burning in May yet I fired the stove 2-3 nights per week here of late...she is cruising on a full load of burr oak tonight with the temps to drop to 35 the next 2 nights.

Probably could've burned a little the last couple days just wasn't really going to be home. Temps have been up and down so far.

Woke up this morning to 66F in the master bath. A little cool for stepping out of a hot shower, but not too bad. Checked outside and it was 36F! Wasn't expecting that on May 8. Switched three of our boiler zones from "cool" back to "heat", no time to fire up a cold stove on a Monday morning.

It was 66 outside when I got up this morning around 5:45 am we are expecting 91 this afternoon. The lowest projected high this week is 64 but it is just a one day blip on the radar for an otherwise low to mid 70's highs week. I am cleaning out the princess tonight including an end of season sweep of the chimney. I believe we are finally done for the year.

I'm in Tennessee and we fired ours up over the weekend. I think thats the latest burn we've had. Should be time to clean it out now.

I really wanna say that I'm toughing it out, but instead I'm saying that I'm getting up after this to lite the stove up, suppose to be 32 tonight and well.... the house really didn't warm up that much and I don't wanna burn oil either.

PE fired. 35F tonight in the hollow

One thing i love about this insert, in this kind of weather, it can handle the whole house. Have to run the fan to do that, how ever :p

It's been chilly enough to burn. I stopped 3 weeks ago only because I cleaned out my fireplace. My father stopped using his Jodul a couple weeks ago, but he's old and just turns up the thermostat if the days and nights stay above 40.

Still burning here too, but it's normal here to have the fire going till the end of May or even half June if it rains for more than a couple of days...

yep, just not full loads.

Got home from a weekend away and it was 59 in the house, 62 outside at 8 pm! Had a nice big fire. Luckily the chimney drafted the right direction.

Yesterday morning I woke up to 27 degrees outside, house was cold and gas furnace kicked in at 65. Ugg.
I have been lighting the wood furnace most mornings. Most days it stays warm in the house during the day, especially if the sun is shining (big west-facing windows) but in the morning I have to fire up after the temp drops over night.

This weather can break any time now. I'm ready for summer.

I've been doing a fire every other day. Lows around 40 and highs around 60 every day. I do one ~20 hour burn to get the house up to 75ish, and then let it cool off to 65ish over the next 24 hours, then have another fire the day after.

I think I've lit more fires in the last 30 days than in the previous 2 years!

Reactions: Ashful
I'm just burning the ugly's, some 2 YO pine, & weirdos ( firewood, not people :p )

In this weather, the PE pretty much takes care of the entire house. Very rarely do I hear the OB running for heat, with the PE runnning ;)

Will light off the PE in an hour or so. Down to 35F or less tonight. It's why I never plant flowers before Memorial Day :mad: