Still Burning, Anyone Else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still burning here. I will put in the last 1/2 load before bed tonight.......I think! Fingers crossed

Still burning here. I will put in the last 1/2 load before bed tonight.......I think! Fingers crossed

I've been cleaning out the last of the ashes for 2 weeks.

:mad:

This is likely my last fire this season. I haven't had a fire in weeks, so I'm enjoying the heat.
20170510_004632.jpg

Reactions: Dix
frost on the grass and roofs Mon and Tue mornings.

No fire in the stove tonight, after a glorious sunny day with highs of 19C. Am I done? Is it time to get the soot eater out? I'll give it 'til Sunday.

Still burning . . .

Just lit another fire tonight. It is getting to be way too common of a theme. Tonight's fire is sponsored by pallet wood. I broke down several pallets from my staging area this afternoon. I feel like I shouldn't be burning any "good" wood right now because I would rather save it for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burned last night and fired it back up again this evening. Its been chilly. Now I don't feel so bad seeing everybody else in the area is still burning.

Plus I have a date with a few cord and the splitter tomorrow. That always helps.

Our 2-1/2 days of spring are over...........
Back to drizzly, wet, cool weather...................
Chilly 60F house this am, so a small fire is going............hate burning oil

Yep, here on the east coast too, cool weather hanging on.

Thanks to my woodstove I have burned about 80 gal of #2 home heating oil since my fill up in the beginning of August. No complaints here

Thanks to my woodstove I have burned about 80 gal of #2 home heating oil since my fill up in the beginning of August. No complaints here
EXCELLENT!
We only buy 100 gals. every 2-3 years, which puts our usage at 33-50 gals/year = not bad!

EXCELLENT!
We only buy 100 gals. every 2-3 years, which puts our usage at 33-50 gals/year = not bad!

You guys suck. Thanks to burning 6 - 8 cord per year in two woodstoves, I'm down to purchasing only 1000 gallons per year. About 350 of those gallons go toward heating DHW.

You guys suck. Thanks to burning 6 - 8 cord per year in two woodstoves, I'm down to purchasing only 1000 gallons per year. About 350 of those gallons go toward heating DHW.

Wow. I'm pretty sure I never used that much even before the wood stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use maybe 100-150 gallons a year. It goes to the hot water heater and to the burner for the baseboard heat. (Those crazy things run all year and you're not supposed to shut them off.) I run it on 110 / 160 / 15. Didn't use it at all this year, so I may look into finding a way to safely shut it down completely, just fire it up when we go on vacation.

I don't have a way to tell how much of my oil use is domestic and how much is wasted running a boiler that I don't actually use, wish I did.

Stopped burning for about a month, but back at it in the morning as of this week. Spent last week in D.C. with the family and left the heat off. Came back to a house that was 59 (oops - got colder than expected) and fired up the insert to help warm the house back up and have had a fire in the morning since. Should start seeing much warmer temps this coming Monday, so tomorrow may be the last one.

Just fired the PE off, will be collecting kindling and a few totes of firewood tonight & tomorrow.

Going to be a pretty damp weekend, I'd rather be prepared, and if the T Stat says 62F, the oil burner won't run to ward off damp.

As far as oil usage this season, I think I did pretty well. 275 gallons of oil from October 15 - March 13, when the oil tank was full (550 tank), for the first time in 6 years (I shut down the electric HWH when I fixed the oil burner, still there for back up !!! ). OB heat was called for when the apartment's 13 ran out of heat, and when on a really cold, long day for Long Island, the PE ran out of juice. Apt T Stat set @ 65 F, and my side @ 62 F. Includes hot water. Used about 2 1/2 cord of firewood this winter both both stoves.

Not complaining, at all, after 6 years of wood stoves & EHWH. PSEG bill has gone down $50 a month, too :cool:

We've had 40-60 degree weather for about two weeks straight now in NH. I've been burning my Princess insert about as low as it will go, to avoid the restart cycle. Rainy weekend forecast , then next week should finally hit the 70s so that will be it for me.66ad822b67ae4eb8498ec163f13e921e.jpg

I don't have a way to tell how much of my oil use is domestic and how much is wasted running a boiler that I don't actually use, wish I did.
Yes you do! I can think of two quick ways, both of which I used as checks against the other:

1. Take note of how much oil is in your tank and the date when you turn your heat off in the spring. Then gauge how much is left (plus any added) in the fall, when you turn your heat back on. Divide by the number of days between, and that's your summer daily usage for DHW. Assume your winter daily DHW usage will be at least as high, unless you take colder and shorter showers in winter.

2. Track your oil deliveries against the number of calendar and heating degree days (HDD's) between. Plot as gallons/day vs. hdd/day, and then fit a linear trendline to it. Your y-intercept (hdd/day = 0) is your daily usage for DHW. This can also be double-checked by plotting usage throughout the year and eyeballing the summer valleys.

Small fire tonight. It's 46F and probably going down to about 43F.

yup still burning the old Encore here at night. Temps down to low 40 last few nights. Hate to wake up with cold house in morning when I have plenty to burn LOL

Small fire tonight. It's 46F and probably going down to about 43F.

We burned a fire last night too! 65 inside temps as the sun went down, started a full sized fire, and woke up to outdoor temps in the upper 30s and frost on the roof and hot tub cover.