Stopping frost inside pole barn roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
The house I recently moved to has a pole barn about 32 x 36. Concrete floor, brown steel sides, white steel roof. No windows. No vents but also not very tightly sealed. No insulation or wood backing. Moved in last winter, and once it got above freezing during the day while below freezing at night, I would get frost on the underside of the roof panels at night. Which would melt in the day, dripping all over everything. Trails of water in line with the roof supports and all over anything in its path. I have to cover all my things with plastic sheets. Summer was fine, and right now the cold arrived so fast that it probably won't thaw for awhile.

I don't heat the barn and don't plan to. I've heard that spray foam insulation would cost several thousand dollars which is way out of budget. I'm looking for something more economical to stop the frost. It must be condensation that freezes, but there's not enough during summer dog days to make it sweat. Possibly styrofoam board between the roof supports? Or would installing some sort of venting or fans do it? I do have power out there.

Unless you can find a way to change the laws of physics the only thing you can do is add insulation.
I have some 2" foam glued to the roof of mine over the bench & tool box to stop the drips.

Reactions: tlc1976
^ Thanks, I'll look into doing that sometime before next spring.

bubble wrap and a spray botttle (or a staple gun).

Reactions: tlc1976
I looked into bubble wrap a bit. Looks like it could be a good way to go. Do you think the 1/8" would be fine or should I go for something thicker?

I looked into bubble wrap a bit. Looks like it could be a good way to go. Do you think the 1/8" would be fine or should I go for something thicker?
1/8" will work, bigger bubbles will give you a bit more insulation

i used it on my windows before I got insulating curtains... it really makes a difference! Depending on how much condensation you are getting, you may want to make sure that you aren't getting a ton of moisture behind it though....

Status
Not open for further replies.