Stove help needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I need to buy a large non - cat stove for my son - in law who's a cardio thoracic surgeon, he hasn't the time to do any research etc.
He's leaving it to me, he wants as large a firebox as can be had and a very large glass door for fire viewing. At least 8 to 10 hours of usable heat.
Something with a proven track record and low maintenance he'll be using the best kiln dried, oak, hickory etc that 's available. Very cold in Montana his getaway home. If I could have some suggestions I'll do comparisons and hope I make the right choice, looks is not a real issue, it's up to me. I'm thinking maybe a Pacific energy in red porcelain? Anyway any help would be appreciated. THX There's got to be a non -cat that would fill this order I think.

How big of space is it heating? I think the PE stoves are solid. Only down side is the baffle gasket. Easy to keep an extra in hand. Read up on that. The bigger T6 doesn’t come in colors. I like the stainless baffle. They just hold up better. Maybe a Jotul F45 or F55.

The Myriad/legend, ht2000, cw3500 are big, reliable, no frills, non cat stoves.

How big of space is it heating? I think the PE stoves are solid. Only down side is the baffle gasket. Easy to keep an extra in hand. Read up on that. The bigger T6 doesn’t come in colors. I like the stainless baffle. They just hold up better. Maybe a Jotul F45 or F55.
About 2000 open floor plan.

3 cu ft is probably smallest id go. I don’t know, off the top of my head, any 8” stoves that don’t have cats.

I'll throw out one point for consideration... "... cardio thoracic surgeon, he hasn't the time to do any research etc..." Sounds like he is a pretty busy guy with likely a fairly demanding job.

If he doesn't have time to do research, it might also be worth considering the time involved in owning a wood stove. Obviously a lot of time involved with finding, felling, cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking wood. Though some of this can be offset if he were just to buy cord wood. But then there is also time involved with hauling wood to the stove, tending the fire, cleaning ashes, periodic stove/chimney cleaning, etc. Though again, some of that could be offset by having a pro come in a couple times a year for chimney sweeping, etc.

Bottom line, just know that there will be some additional time commitment to having/operating a wood stove. I mention mainly because I'd hate for this to be one of those 'sounds neat in theory, fell apart in practice' exercises!

Reactions: davidmsem
I'll throw out one point for consideration... "... cardio thoracic surgeon, he hasn't the time to do any research etc..." Sounds like he is a pretty busy guy with likely a fairly demanding job.

If he doesn't have time to do research, it might also be worth considering the time involved in owning a wood stove. Obviously a lot of time involved with finding, felling, cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking wood. Though some of this can be offset if he were just to buy cord wood. But then there is also time involved with hauling wood to the stove, tending the fire, cleaning ashes, periodic stove/chimney cleaning, etc. Though again, some of that could be offset by having a pro come in a couple times a year for chimney sweeping, etc.

Bottom line, just know that there will be some additional time commitment to having/operating a wood stove. I mention mainly because I'd hate for this to be one of those 'sounds neat in theory, fell apart in practice' exercises!
His wood will be bought , all kiln dried delivered and stacked by the company. His two sons and my daughter will do all the dirty work, happily I might add, so no issues really. and when I head west I'll help out.

Reactions: JamesGuido
👍 another potential.
I’d personally go for a stainless baffle stove. I am the only person that will load my Drolet and even trying to be careful bumped it good once and I know how fragile they are.

I need to buy a large non - cat stove for my son - in law who's a cardio thoracic surgeon, he hasn't the time to do any research etc.
He's leaving it to me, he wants as large a firebox as can be had and a very large glass door for fire viewing. At least 8 to 10 hours of usable heat.
Something with a proven track record and low maintenance he'll be using the best kiln dried, oak, hickory etc that 's available. Very cold in Montana his getaway home. If I could have some suggestions I'll do comparisons and hope I make the right choice, looks is not a real issue, it's up to me. I'm thinking maybe a Pacific energy in red porcelain? Anyway any help would be appreciated. THX There's got to be a non -cat that would fill this order I think.
The Summit is a good choice. It will provide an easy 8-12 hr burn time and is low maintenance. And yes, it comes in whorehouse red.

The Summit is a good choice. It will provide an easy 8-12 hr burn time and is low maintenance. And yes, it comes in whorehouse red.
I'm leaning towards this stove, the stove shop near me says them and BK are his top sellers followed by Quadrafire and then Vermont castings.

Reactions: EbS-P
How's the fire viewing and does it put out enough heat for -10 sometimes they go in dead of winter to ski.

I'd say the T6 would be a solid bet but for whatever reason they don't come in anything other than black.

That’s Sunset red.
Whorehouse red comes with lifter, legs, and poker.
Who'd have thought that exchange would be up here - between moderators...

I'd say the T6 would be a solid bet but for whatever reason they don't come in anything other than black.
Black would be okay , unless the granddaughter demands red, her favorite color.

Who'd have thought that exchange would be up here - between moderators...
An affectionate tradition that goes back to the early days. I think it was hogwildz who coined the phrase and it stuck.

Black would be okay , unless the granddaughter demands red, her favorite color.
The red Summit looks great.

An affectionate tradition that goes back to the early days. I think it was hogwildz who coined the phrase and it stuck.

The red Summit looks great.
I'm liking it, what is the real burn time of usable heat? I'm somewhat spoiled having a King, 10 hours of usable heat would be fine, when they ski they could be gone that long easily, and it will definitely be cold. fact, only kiln dried wood will be burned , mostly, oak, hickory. delivered right to the house, more than I could afford$. I usually go there late spring for a week, and sometimes it drops in the low teens, right near glacier. Polebridge vicinity.

Just don't forget to make a note to your brother that (as you know) kiln dried wood may not (at all) be dry enough. Most kiln dried wood is "dried" to kill bugs (to allow legal transport over county lines).
It's still good to actually check the moisture content on a room temp fresh split - especially with a great modern stove like you're looking at...

He may need this reminder, to not get frustrated...

My personal hot list for noncat would be lopi liberty & pe t6,

The Summit has the same firebox as the T6. It's a good stove. Burn time will depend on how hard it's pushed. Figure 8-12 hrs. But if the place is an icebox then it could be 6 hrs.

Is there any supplemental heat to keep the pipes from freezing?
How many square feet are they heating? Are there super high ceilings?

Reactions: kennyp2339