stove on north or south wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kikibear

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2009
Winthrop, ME
Has anybody heard that there is not sufficient heat when you install a (pellet) stove on either a north or south wall?
If yes, than which wall is not good to install on?

i don't think i would want my exhaust vent to have to fight to wind directly. I would put it on an East or West wall and the winds would blow across the vent rather than into it.

Have had ours on the north side for years, I don't think it could work better. No OAK,

exhaust never blows back in. How could it, even with a 50 mph wind, hot expanding air will

escape easily. We get more of a smell through the doors, which face east and west. I don't

mind an occasional puff :coolsmile:

Since the south side gets more solar exposure, I'd place the stove on the north end if given a choice.

Put it wherever it looks the best and works with whatever else you've got going on in the room. Rick

kikibear said:
Has anybody heard that there is not sufficient heat when you install a (pellet) stove on either a north or south wall?
If yes, than which wall is not good to install on?

Obviously there are some considerations to be aware of when venting a pellet stove such as proximity to windows, doors, ground, shrubs etc but I don`t recall ever reading any manufacturers specs or recommendations regarding which wall North,South,East, or West that it should be vented on. Unless you have an extraordinary situation it shouldn`t be the reason why your stove isn`t heating that room.

When I was a kid, the old folks always said you can't push heat to the north. Now I AM the old folk, and I agree.

hossthehermit said:
....Now I AM the old folk....

Now that I see that you have 4 tons of pellets "in the cellar", I guess your an "old folk pellet pig" OINK

macman said:
hossthehermit said:
....Now I AM the old folk....

Now that I see that you have 4 tons of pellets "in the cellar", I guess your an "old folk pellet pig" OINK

C'mon mac, you know why yer mistook in yer guess.

I'm a little slow here, whats an OAK

Ghettontheball said:
Clay H said:
OAK is outside air kit= hose from outdoor which plugs into stove & provides combustion air from outdoor instead of within the room
Actually thats what I had guessed.
Now why do some use them and some dont? Mine doesn't have one.

Clay H said:
Ghettontheball said:
Clay H said:
OAK is outside air kit= hose from outdoor which plugs into stove & provides combustion air from outdoor instead of within the room
Actually thats what I had guessed.
Now why do some use them and some dont? Mine doesn't have one.

Some use them because they think they need to. Some don't, 'cause they know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.