Stove pipe adapt. will not go one all the way.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runandjump

Apr 7, 2009
Southern Ohio
This is a Silkerk Adptr. on a EQ. The picture shows the screw bosses that keep the pipe from going all the way on. Has any one come across this?

Attachments

• DSP8SA-1.JPG
    DSP8SA-1.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 331
Sometimes on cast iron flue collars you cant get it to go past the screws that hold on the flue collar. So break out the drill bit and screws and secure it to the stove collar.

seal with furnace/stove cement, or notch the adaptor so it goes down further.

Looks like hearthstone is still using the cotterpins to hold the ceramic baffle to the secondary tubes. What a pain. I thought they had gone to wire though that does seem like a redneck fix.

trim about one inch or so off the crimps on your pipe adaptor: we run into this all the time with jotuls and VC stoves... the flue outlet is usually set to recieve a crimped end at about 1" long, but ofthen time factory crimps are 2" long... a pair of snips will cut it down, and looks better than smearing cement around the seam.

My Eq. is the same, using a hammer and a piece of 2x4 and lightly drove the pipe into the collar just far enough to pass the screw holes. When I cleaned my stove/chimney mid winter, I cut four tight V's in the bottom of the pipe which let it go down farther into the collar without the need for my gentle persuasion.

summit said:
trim about one inch or so off the crimps on your pipe adaptor: we run into this all the time with jotuls and VC stoves... the flue outlet is usually set to recieve a crimped end at about 1" long, but ofthen time factory crimps are 2" long... a pair of snips will cut it down, and looks better than smearing cement around the seam.

This is the answer here...

Highbeam said:
Looks like hearthstone is still using the cotterpins to hold the ceramic baffle to the secondary tubes. What a pain. I thought they had gone to wire though that does seem like a redneck fix.

i hate the baffle setup in hearthstones, although everything alse about them (long burn, long heat life, ease of use w/ the non cat system) is great.

Well, I did the notch..... it seemed to go all the way on. If it gives me any trouble I will cut the remainder out per Summit! Thanx! I tried to work with stove mfgr and the pipe mfgr and no one was willing to help. The wife is getting excited. It is supposed to get cool next week so we may finish the hookup and start our B/I fires :) :lol:

the notch works, too.. just al little more fun to line up when you remove / reinstall the pipe when cleaning the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.