Stove Repaint Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
We had a nice crisp and dry fall day today so I decided it was final time to sand off the dog drool rust and repaint my insert. I used the SBI OEM Metallic Black and thankfully didn't have any issues at all unlike earlier this sprint when I was redoing the ash lip... that was REALLY annoying. After a few coats I'm happy with the results and also know that moving forward it's not too bad a project. This is good because I fully anticipate having to do it again next year lol.

Now we just have to suffer through the curing process for a day or two when we light up. Probably another 1 to 1.5 months for us, we'll let the heat pump work until it's below 40 at night.

Before (it was worse than it looks, this this after a little test sanding):

20210719_131728.jpg

Process:

20210919_113135.jpg

After:

20210919_152510.jpg

The reason I had to do all this:

1630009632118.jpg

That will last a week or two. This may take a gloss finish that is easy to wipe clean, or a dogface bra.

That will last a week or two. This may take a gloss finish that is easy to wipe clean, or a dogface bra.

Haha yeah it's true. My main goal is to stop the rust though rather than for looks. I'll evaluate next season and see what I can do. He doesn't get it in season because it's so hot he stays away so maybe a fire place screen in the off-season to keep him away. We'll see. I don't want to deprive him of his favorite summer spot on the cold steel Ember guard.