Stove seems to be not getting air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnsonra2

Feb 2, 2020
Massachusetts
I have a VC encore model 2040. It was here in the house when I purchased it a year ago. It ran fine last year and up until a couple days ago it was running fine. It seems as though the fire is not getting air even with the airflow lever wide open. I can see the door in the back is opening and closing when I move the lever. It is very difficult to get a fire going now because it doesn't seem to be getting any air. It it does not get hot now. I have cleaned the ash tray out and back where the catalytic combustor is.
I am still not getting air into the stove or it appears that way anyway. Any suggestions?

I have a VC encore model 2040. It was here in the house when I purchased it a year ago. It ran fine last year and up until a couple days ago it was running fine. It seems as though the fire is not getting air even with the airflow lever wide open. I can see the door in the back is opening and closing when I move the lever. It is very difficult to get a fire going now because it doesn't seem to be getting any air. It it does not get hot now. I have cleaned the ash tray out and back where the catalytic combustor is.
I am still not getting air into the stove or it appears that way anyway. Any suggestions?
Did you check the chimney? What moisture content is your wood at?

The wood is several years old and very dry.
I have not checked the chimney. Are you thinking that if it's clogged somewhere it's not getting good airflow? The "chimney" is a straight steel pipe going up from the side of the house.

I guess I also should have mentioned that when I open the front doors a crack to let some air in, the flames go right up like it should as if it was getting air.

Is this with the bypass open? Is the bypass opening correctly?

Can you get on your roof and look at your cap and look down the liner? Use binoculars if you cant.

I would guess its the warmer weather/heavier air. My stove is acting similar.

Was this several year old wood split years ago? Or was it in log form for years? A $15 moisture meter will end all doubt in fuel quality.
Could be a dirty screen at the cap too.

Last edited:
More than likely it's not an issue with the air in. It's probably a draft, air out issue.

Reactions: EJL923
Yup, air going out. Here was the issue...
IMG_20200207_093800090.jpg

That's pretty bad. Clean more frequently and get dry wood for next season.

Reactions: Diabel and bholler
By the looks of the pic this is inside the house. I'd be curious of the upper chimney looks like. That will definitely impact draft.

Reactions: Diabel