john84 Posted By john84, Nov 25, 2018 at 12:05 PM

1. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    I just noticed after filling my tank the gauge is not working, still stuck on 1/8 tank. The gauge is located in the middle of the tank connected to the vent.

What's my best option? I'd rather not cut the pipe to replace it unless I have to.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    Your setup looks just like mine.

The whistle in mine quit, so a similar situation. I had to remove the vertical vent pipe (outside), then unscrew the pipe that goes through the wall into the house, then I could unscrew the remaining pipes to get at the gauge/whistle assembly. It took a large pipe wrench and a length of pipe to loosen them, but other than that, it was not very difficult. No pipe cutting involved.

My fill whistle quit because it had some crud stuck in it. I don't know what it was, because just as I reached it, it fell into the tank. Here's hoping it doesn't cause me future grief in there. That whole whistle mechanism is a pretty clever bit of engineering.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WES999

WES999
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2008
    Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    You could probably just leave the existing non working gauge as it is, and add a new gauge without the vent in
    another location in the tank.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    I was thinking that but I'm not sure if I would have enough room for the float.

5. mustash29

mustash29
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2012
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Mine is 22 yrs old and sometimes sticks after a refill & occasionally sticks as the tank level drops. I have an unused port on my tank, so if it sticks during use I can just dip check it with a broomstick.

I would love to install a tygon tube on the side as a direct reading secondary sight glass but something tells me the insurance / bldg inspector folks would have a conniption fit.

Carefully unscrew the plastic sight glass (wrap a heavy rag or piece of rubber gasket material around it before applying the pliers) and the float will respond. Then re-install the sight glass.

6. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    I tried that a few times, as soon as I let go of the rod it goes right back down to 1/8 tank.

7. mustash29

mustash29
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 6, 2012
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Sounds like the float ball is full of oil then.

8. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass
    I assume the only way to fix it is to replace it?

9. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    That guage looks a bit different than ones I used to have. They would just screw out. That one doesn't screw out?

10. john84

john84
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2013
    Loc:
    Mass

Not that I can see without removing the vent pipe.

11. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    My bet is that the float fell off the arm.

12. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I really have no idea because like I said that is a different looking guage than I used to have. But there aren't by chance say a couple of screws holding it in place, that you access by taking the glass off? Or something like that? Seems odd for a guage to not be more easily serviced, they do get wonky. Some from the get-go.

13. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have two tanks with that type of gauge and both don't work. I think I came to the conclusion long ago that they need to be unscrewed out of the tank. Some tank installers put a union on the vent piping but most don't as few folks own a set of pipe wrenches that will open up big enough to break a union that size loose. I think most installs require that the pipes be removed from the outside of the house and work your way in. Buy some rector seal in advance as you will need it.

14. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY