Sugar Maples dying any ideas why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
This stand of sugar maples is dying off. Can you think of a reason or cause? Not sure if we should just cut it all and burn in place or if it could be moved for firewood. Also hoping there is a way to treat it?

35051472fb7d27b13bf8d240aa679bbb.jpg

7f4a3a1c76b34d914bcf5ee413e8bc59.jpg

1ac8fb5bd1cbe60c0ba2bca8b384ff62.jpg

3655cb3527f03d435ed7c00b8bc4d42c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mtarbert
Your cattle may be grazing on the bark. Or hoof damage from cattle sheltering under the trees.

Reactions: TreePointer
4th generation pasture. No chemicals.

Your cattle may be grazing on the bark. Or hoof damage from cattle sheltering under the trees.

Cattle rubbing and grazing on trees, Hoof damage and soil compaction, would all be factors in my book...

If the damage starts in the leaves I would suspect verticilium wilt but if it starts at the base I would think more along the lines of physical damage to the base.

I had several cedars damaged at the base during a logging operation and most of them died.

So far it seems physical damage is the most likely. I've never seen the cows do this before but I will keep an eye on it.

Put me into the physical damage column. If cattle are roaming around soil compaction and maybe urine within the drip zone isn't helping.

I ran a skidsteer and mini-excavator around my property and nicked some trees with the equipment. Almost every one of them, opened up and you can now see 'wounds' like the one you are describing.

No sun. Tree canopy.

Half my property looks just like that. Almost zero undergrowth.

Everywhere I have maples on my place has no grass under it. I even planted shade grass under them and no dice. It grew and then died. I really think that the roots of the maples steal most of the nutrients out of the dirt.

I read somewhere that Norway maples were considered an invasive species.

Everywhere I have maples on my place has no grass under it. I even planted shade grass under them and no dice. It grew and then died. I really think that the roots of the maples steal most of the nutrients out of the dirt.

Norway maple are definitely an invasive species around here. I've removed all of them on my lot, but they surround us on all sides and displace natives with their aggressive reproduction and fast, thick, weak growth. Made nice firewood for a season. Beautiful late yellow foliage, last to turn and fall, late autumn. Thanks John Bartram!

Norway maple are definitely an invasive species around here. I've removed all of them on my lot, but they surround us on all sides and displace natives with their aggressive reproduction and fast, thick, weak growth. Made nice firewood for a season. Beautiful late yellow foliage, last to turn and fall, late autumn. Thanks John Bartram!

The only maples we have are the ones that were planted by the previous home owners 40 years ago. I wish we had more. The closest thing we have to hard wood is paper birch.

I took out a few of the Maples when we bought the house to let more light in and I am on my last half cord of maple to burn this winter.

I have about 5 trees left standing but they are going to stay standing.

The Norway Maple Excretes a Herbacidefrom it's Leaves