suggestions on felling tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no pro but that notch doesn't look deep enough to me.

If I was in your shoes, I'd tie a rock or some such heavy item to a rope and then round and round and round with it, letting her fly up and over the highest limb I could get. I've done this many times, ya kinda gotta watch the dang rock don't come right on down and slam ya on the head, PLUS, I've had to try several times before I get the rock/rope to go where I want 'em to. Then whip that rope around trying to get that rock to fall to the ground, then wrap that rope around that tree, so when you make the next step the thing pulls taught around the trunk of the tree, then tie a loop in the end that had the rock on it, thread the other end through it, pull it tight as I could get it, then start yankin' with a come a long.

haha, that whole paragraph sounds about half dangerous in and of itself, but I've done it before several times and I'm still livin :p

Reactions: HDRock
Also, if I'd get that rope around there, and have 'er pulled real tight with a come a long, and the tree didn't come down, and I was SURE to have a good hinge where that back cut goes into that tree, then I'd not feel to bad about cutting further into that back cut til she started to go over.....but the key for me would be a good solid hinge. Also, if you put pressure on a come a long and that back cut ain't in far enough you're asking for a barberchair.

Ain't no way I'd stand behind that sucker, I'd be reaching with the saw tip an arms length away from that bad boy.

I'm no pro but that notch doesn't look deep enough to me.

If I was in your shoes, I'd tie a rock or some such heavy item to a rope and then round and round and round with it, letting her fly up and over the highest limb I could get. I've done this many times, ya kinda gotta watch the dang rock don't come right on down and slam ya on the head, PLUS, I've had to try several times before I get the rock/rope to go where I want 'em to. Then whip that rope around trying to get that rock to fall to the ground, then wrap that rope around that tree, so when you make the next step the thing pulls taught around the trunk of the tree, then tie a loop in the end that had the rock on it, thread the other end through it, pull it tight as I could get it, then start yankin' with a come a long.

haha, that whole paragraph sounds about half dangerous in and of itself, but I've done it before several times and I'm still livin :p
Done that to ,but I switched to a bean bag now, an old glove with sand will work to, the sky is falling ;lol

hmmm... I'd cut em all domino style.

Biggest thing here is to be careful. You have to understand we're all leary of giving exact advice as to the best way to do this drop. Lots of variables, and I don't want to see you get hurt. A guy was almost killed a month ago in a post here taking down a tree......

Well Scotty , I guess no tips then ,I get that :)

Did anyone mention...BE CAREFUL! ;)

I want to believe we are all on the same page here on this forum - that we have have the best of intentions for supporting each other in the never ending quest for wood heat. To that end you have error on the side of safety everytime you do forestry operations, cause once something goes wrong, it's tough to undo it.

Best of luck, and again thanks for sharing the pictures.

thanks for the advice.

it's about 16" i was always under the impression that around 1/4" of the diameter for the face cut was sufficient and would give better accuracy for the drop point, so i went about 3" (it's a little more, but not quite 4") since i'm dropping it into that 20 foot lane. should i have gone with closer to a third anyway?

thanks for the posts.

Yes.

The hook/bend in that tree is placing weigth to the right and it appears to have a natural lean in the opposite direction you're cutting.
Get a rope in it come-along or snatch block with vehicle -modest tension when you are back there cutting.
your notch does look a bit small
I have a steel ball from a ball valve works well for throwing into trees, you can drill out a baseball and tie a small nylon line or heavy fishing line, then attach your bigger rope to it.

And yes Dogwwod is awesome firewood;) poplar not really worth dieing over:(

The hook/bend in that tree is placing weigth to the right and it appears to have a natural lean in the opposite direction you're cutting.
Get a rope in it come-along or snatch block with vehicle -modest tension when you are back there cutting.
your notch does look a bit small
I have a steel ball from a ball valve works well for throwing into trees, you can drill out a baseball and tie a small nylon line or heavy fishing line, then attach your bigger rope to it.

And yes Dogwwod is awesome firewood;) poplar not really worth dieing over:(
thanks for the advice fellas. i'm still in tact, lol. i'll take some pictures when i think about it.
it may have been the camera, or slope playing tricks, but it started leaning in the direction of the face cut after the snow. the bend was to the right and slightly forward relative to the back cut.

edit: as far as this being poplar, with it changing directions on me, i figured i'd go ahead and get it down with it actually being in the back yard. i don't do any primary burning with poplar, but i do like to supplement my oak with it. i like to use as little of my good stuff as possible while still keeping things efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.