Summit LE not enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How and where is this temperature being measured?
How and where is this temperature being measured?
image.jpg

400º is getting better. Post a picture of the next load of wood in the stove. Maybe there is a clue there.
So I need to look and see if they make one for metal fab pipe
Before doing that I would get a probe flue thermometer and install that about 21" over the stovetop. That is more important than the stovetop temperature. It will tell you how much heat is going up the flue vs the stove temperature. Condar makes a good one.

400º is getting better. Post a picture of the next load of wood in the stove. Maybe there is a clue there.

Before doing that I would get a probe flue thermometer and install that about 21" over the stovetop. That is more important than the stovetop temperature. It will tell you how much heat is going up the flue vs the stove temperature. Condar makes a good one.
Ok I will 400 is like max temperature that’s after running a full load wide-open

Ok I will 400 is like max temperature that’s after running a full load wide-open
Wide open sends all the heat up the flue. It's ok for starting, but not for running the stove once the fire is burning well. The stove should get much hotter on top once the air has been closed down to at least 25%. On our stove, I often close it down to 10% open or less during cold weather.

Have you seen this thread? It's with the same firebox as the Summit.

Last edited:
Wide open sends all the heat up the flue. It's ok for starting, but not for running the stove once the fire is burning well. The stove should get much hotter on top once the air has been closed down to at least 25%. On our stove, I often close it down to 10% open or less during cold weather.

Have you seen this thread? It's with the same firebox as the Summit.
I guess I shouldn’t say wide open that can be taken out of context I’ll read the post you sent and get back to you tomorrow it shouldn’t have to be that difficult. I’ve tryed many different methods and still can’t get it to heat house

Sound good. Read at least the beginning of that thread. It illustrates the stages of the burn at startup.

Just to verify. Was the stove brand new when you bought it?

Can you take a picture of the inside of the firebox before you load it? I still want to see it loaded too, but maybe we can spot something in the firebox itself that isn't right.

Reactions: Jaison
Sound good. Read at least the beginning of that thread. It illustrates the stages of the burn at startup.

Just to verify. Was the stove brand new when you bought it?

Can you take a picture of the inside of the firebox before you load it? I still want to see it loaded too, but maybe we can spot something in the firebox itself that isn't right.
I can do that but just a fyi it runs 24:7 so it’s not clean on the inside

I can do that but just a fyi it runs 24:7 so it’s not clean on the inside
Not a problem; We are always looking for down-and-dirty pics. 😏

Ok, I was just reminded that this thread has history. See this post here:

The issue is not with the stove. The stove is getting plenty hot. At some point, it was being overfired. The issue is with the size of the 2800 sq ft space being heated and the heat loss of the house. It looks like the place needs a stove on each floor to heat it well on colder days.

Ok, I was just reminded that this thread has history. See this post here:

The issue is not with the stove. The stove is getting plenty hot. At some point, it was being overfired. The issue is with the size of the 2800 sq ft space being heated and the heat loss of the house. It looks like the place needs a stove on each floor to heat it well on colder days.
Thanks for the information I just put in a key damper or a butterfly damper. It has change the stove 100%. It is now 85 in my house and turned all the way down.

That's great to hear. I think this is the first case of where a damper was needed on a 12' tall flue system, but if this has solved the problem, that's what matters. What is the outside temperature there?

Thanks for the information I just put in a key damper or a butterfly damper. It has change the stove 100%. It is now 85 in my house and turned all the way down.
Wow and I thought my house gets hot at 78!

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover