Super 27 for $1,200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, that is the insulation. It looks like the baffle has never been removed. You are good to go.

Reactions: Draughts15
Make sure you get the baffle on top of the rails and centered. In the photo the one side is hanging down.

I'm scheduled to have this installed Nov 30th. Can't wait. The stove is outside in my garage right now. Can I bring it outside and light a couple fires to cure the paint before I bring it in? Anything I should worry about?

I'm scheduled to have this installed Nov 30th. Can't wait. The stove is outside in my garage right now. Can I bring it outside and light a couple fires to cure the paint before I bring it in? Anything I should worry about?
Did it get repainted? If not, there is no need. The paint is already broken in.

The person I bought it from repainted it with rustoleum high heat paint, good up to 1200 degrees. I have a little one and my wife is pregnant. I'd like to cure it as much as I can before bringing it in if possible. I don't have any piping so it would just be the stove going out there.

Yes, then stick a 4' length of 6" warm air duct on the flue outlet for a basic chimney. It won't burn that well but with the door cracked open a little it may warm up to 400º stovetop temp. Sorry they used the Rustoleum, not the best paint for a stove.

I used Stove bright on my PE first burn was in the house. I brought it up slow only smelled a slight bit for a few hours my wife didn't even complain and she hates chemical smells, She did complain when I painted in the basement.

I used Stove bright on my PE first burn was in the house. I brought it up slow only smelled a slight bit for a few hours my wife didn't even complain and she hates chemical smells, She did complain when I painted in the basement.
Yes, Stove Brite is what PE uses for paint. She was right to complain. The paint is acetone based and will quickly rot brain cells. It should only be used outdoors or in a very well ventilated space.

Yes, Stove Brite is what PE uses for paint. She was right to complain. The paint is acetone based and will quickly rot brain cells. It should only be used outdoors or in a very well ventilated space.
I had basement door open a few feet from where I sprayed it

I had basement door open a few feet from where I sprayed it
Hopefully with a fan exhausting the fumes, otherwise they can rise through the house.

yes a box fan in the door way

Reactions: begreen
Are the firebricks generally this hard to install? I vacuumed out the stove and made sure there wasn't extra ash in the corners or edges to prevent a tighter fit. I'm wondering if the 8" would be better. They are very tight and I won't be able to install them unless I make some cuts or try and sand down the edges. I'll need to make cuts for the ash pan and the back of the stove.

20211125_131156.jpg 20211125_131641.jpg

Normally no, Measure them up. Maybe they are slightly oversized? If so a coarse sander or a grinder can remove a 1/4" quickly. Mark in advance.

2 stock bricks have the corners cut off on a 45 degree angle, the back & side bricks cover the cuts.
These are the 2 rear corner floor bricks

Reactions: begreen
Are the firebricks generally this hard to install? I vacuumed out the stove and made sure there wasn't extra ash in the corners or edges to prevent a tighter fit. I'm wondering if the 8" would be better. They are very tight and I won't be able to install them unless I make some cuts or try and sand down the edges. I'll need to make cuts for the ash pan and the back of the stove.

View attachment 286371 View attachment 286372
Did you go on the pe website and check out the brick sizes for your stove.i noticed you bought bricks from sbi ,those stoves have differant sizes throughout. My osburn has 3 different sizes of bricks.just saying.

Most PE stove take the standard 4.5 x 9" firebrick. This is pretty much an industry standard. The SBI bricks are ok if they are pumice brick. As hogwildz noted, the rear bricks need the corner shaved off in order to fit. There is a short brick next to the ash dump too.

I have seen replacements for the Super 27 and Design D insert listed at 8.875x 4.375