Super Cedar Discount / Free Samples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Todd said:
I guess I'll give them a try, just ordered a 30 pack. So do most of you break them in half and just stack a bunch of splits on top and let it rip?

They are scored to break in half and it is easy with just your hands. I then break those in halfs so the whole circle ends up being 4 pieces. Some put them on top of the wood and some of us still do things the old way and put them under the wood. Actually, I do things a bit different in that I lay a couple splits on the bottom and then a super cedar (lighting it as soon as I lay it in there) with some kindling on top of that. Usually I'll add a couple more small splits on top of the kindling. Then the stove is all set for several hours.

You ever just try 4-5 splits and a SC and eliminate the kindling? Probably need a half or more to get that going? This might work good for my secondary stove when I need a little boost. It would be nice to eliminate the kindling and just loosely stack some splits in there with a SC and let it go til I reach lite off temp.

Yes I've lit a few fires without the kindling and it works just fine. We also have lots and lots of kindling. It won't go to waste.

I've never burned a whole Super Cedar. I did do a test once of lighting 1/4 of a puck oustide on the bottom of an overturned metal bucket. It was a full 20 minutes before the final trace of flame disappeared. They burn hot and long. Depending on what size splits you're talking about, a whole Super Cedar could well eliminate the need for kindling altogether (or redefine the term kindling). Actually, I think I've seen Thomas advocating this use of the product in the past. (Of course, he's heavily invested in us all using up as many of these things as we can. :lol: ) Rick

Well the shoulder season is almost here so it's a good time to play around with these things. My goal is to eliminate kindling and reach a quick cat light off.

Todd said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Todd said:
I guess I'll give them a try, just ordered a 30 pack. So do most of you break them in half and just stack a bunch of splits on top and let it rip?

They are scored to break in half and it is easy with just your hands. I then break those in halfs so the whole circle ends up being 4 pieces. Some put them on top of the wood and some of us still do things the old way and put them under the wood. Actually, I do things a bit different in that I lay a couple splits on the bottom and then a super cedar (lighting it as soon as I lay it in there) with some kindling on top of that. Usually I'll add a couple more small splits on top of the kindling. Then the stove is all set for several hours.

You ever just try 4-5 splits and a SC and eliminate the kindling? Probably need a half or more to get that going? This might work good for my secondary stove when I need a little boost. It would be nice to eliminate the kindling and just loosely stack some splits in there with a SC and let it go til I reach lite off temp.

One of the surprises with my Keystone, after I get my liner installed, was that I had enought draft to light off a fire with wrist size (and sometimes larger) splits with both paper or super cedars. I do a bottom-up light-off and lay the super cedar between the splits with something on top of them. I usually use 2 ea 1/4 size pieces of the super cedars. I try to use splintered splits too to keep from cutting kindling. My brother and I grew-up with old pot belly type coal stoves and later more modern stoves, but sometimes getting a fire started involved a bit of kerosene, along with paper and kindling. Sometimes he would come over to see the Keystone in operation and I would be starting it from a cold start and he was/is always amazed that I can get a fire started with one match - and not smoke-up the place.

Bill

Todd said:
Well the shoulder season is almost here so it's a good time to play around with these things. My goal is to eliminate kindling and reach a quick cat light off.

Todd,

Sud Chemie did this test on their cats and gave Super Cedar high marks. You can see the results on www.supercedar.com. Click on the Woodstock stove on the front page. They commented that using the Super Cedar actually prolongs the life because it lights off quicker.

Start with a whole one and work your way down. No Kindling needed!

Thanks to all for the orders and kind words. We have lots of requests for free samples and hope you receive them before Labor Day to try them on charcoal grills and campfires.

Thomas

Quick question (pardon my ignorance): why are boxes of 54 supercedars $55 for Canadians while you can get 72 for $56 in the US? Duty fees?

Tks!

ANdrew

ps. Just ordered 2 boxes of 54. Thanks for the 15%!!!!!

NW Fuels said:
Todd said:

Todd,

Sud Chemie did this test on their cats and gave Super Cedar high marks. You can see the results on www.supercedar.com. Click on the Woodstock stove on the front page. They commented that using the Super Cedar actually prolongs the life because it lights off quicker.

Start with a whole one and work your way down. No Kindling needed!

Thanks to all for the orders and kind words. We have lots of requests for free samples and hope you receive them before Labor Day to try them on charcoal grills and campfires.

Thomas

Yeah, that caught my eye and spurred my interest.

Swedishchef said:
Quick question (pardon my ignorance): why are boxes of 54 supercedars $55 for Canadians while you can get 72 for $56 in the US? Duty fees?

Tks!

ANdrew

Andrew,

The fees for Canadian shipments (Taxes,Duty,Brokerage fees) on a regular 100 ct Super Cedars will exceed $120.00 US. We found the USPS flat rate (largest box which holds 54 Super Cedars) for $54.95 is a better value. Now with your 15% Hearth.com discount you will receive 108 Super Cedars for less than $94.00 US.

Look for the Zippo Campfire Starters in your area. We package them with our Super Cedars and you might find a better value yet.

You can also check wth Vanessa at Urban Hearth and see what she can offer you.

Thank you for this order !

Thomas

I'll be ordering mine for top down starts. I use them to start the charcoal for the grills and smoker. I cut them in 1/4's on the band saw. Very little mess that way.

NW Fuels said:
Swedishchef said:

Tks!

ANdrew

Andrew,

The fees for Canadian shipments (Taxes,Duty,Brokerage fees) on a regular 100 ct Super Cedars will exceed $120.00 US. We found the USPS flat rate (largest box which holds 54 Super Cedars) for $54.95 is a better value. Now with your 15% Hearth.com discount you will receive 108 Super Cedars for less than $94.00 US.

Look for the Zippo Campfire Starters in your area. We package them with our Super Cedars and you might find a better value yet.

You can also check wth Vanessa at Urban Hearth and see what she can offer you.

Thank you for this order !

Thomas

Hello Thomas,
What is the discount code for the Hearth.com 15% discount?

Thanx,
Ray

mhrischuk said:
Ray it's hearth.... He mentions ii in the first post.

Thanx Mike I missed that somehow..

Ray

Just placed my order for 100 Super Cedars.. I should be good for a couple years or more..

Ray

Kept missing this discount in the past, got mine ordered for this year. Thanks for the discount on a great product.

I always use kindling; sticks, a little cardboard, newspaper, etc. After checking out the SC website, I think I'll order a few with the discount. It looks like these would be great when I don't have any dry kindling around, or just need to get a fire going...well...easier.

Cheers

I have always used newspaper and kindling, but now with 2 stoves, one of which will not go all night, I will be starting more fires, so I ordered some. from the testimonials, I may get hooked :)
Thanks Thomas, for the discount.

About the starting with splits and no kindling, I quit collecting or splitting kindling after the first week with Super Cedars. I just put two large splits N/S with two inches and a half of a SC between them and three small ones diagonally on top and let'er rip. I forgot where I put my kindling hatchet.

Todd said:

I've used a quarter and done ok. I believe I recall another member saying last year that he or she breaks them down to even less than a quarter and does fine.

Well, although I've always used birch bark and kindling, I decided to give these buggers a shot. Just ordered a 100ct. If 1/2 a starter can get my stove going without kindling, I'll be completely sold on using the sc's. I think I'll only use about 25 per year if it's true that only 1/2 a starter works well - and that might even be high. That would give me 25 cold starts for the fall and another 25 for the spring. I burn 24/7 once temps are cold enough. So......I guess this box would last me, possibly, 4 years. If that is the case, it will cost less that $15 per year - I'll give up the bark and kindling for that kind of money. We'll see - can't wait to try 'em out! Cheers!

NH, I'd advise to try the 1/4 to start the fire. Or, use 1/4 on one end and 1/4 on the other for a quick start.

I ordered 100 this spring. Im such the prepper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.