Super Cedar Discount / Free Samples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine just came in! I figure 100 Super Cedars will last me 2-3 years..

Thanx Thomas!

Ray

Well I hope mine come in soon, looks like I might get to play with them in a few days.

Todd I see we have some cooler weather coming. It will certainly be welcome after what we had today. I doubt if we get to light the stove though.

Got my order of 30 today. Still had plenty left from last year, but it never hurts to have extra on hand for the upcoming shoulder season...which I am looking forward to at this point. And rain. We need rain.

Got mine today. First for me. I have always used newspaper and kindling, but you guys like these things way to much......I had to try them.

I got my order today....just a quick comment, USPS is ripping you off, $35 for shipping 56 pucks sounds steep. I notice that you send them air mail, perhaps that is part of the cost??? Just pointing it out!

That box smelled damn good! I passed along supercedars to a few friends to give them a try.

Andrew

Swedishchef said:
I got my order today....just a quick comment, USPS is ripping you off, $35 for shipping 56 pucks sounds steep. I notice that you send them air mail, perhaps that is part of the cost??? Just pointing it out!

That box smelled damn good! I passed along supercedars to a few friends to give them a try.

Andrew
I am surprised they went air, we ship them priority mail.
That is the cheapest way to get from here to there.

Some day we will have a distributor up there.

Thank you, and all the other members for the orders!

Thomas

tfdchief said:
Got mine today. First for me. I have always used newspaper and kindling, but you guys like these things way to much......I had to try them.

Some "accelerants" are a good thing Chief.

BrotherBart said:
tfdchief said:

Some "accelerants" are a good thing Chief.
Now that made me laugh. :) We are going to find out anyway. I didn't get to burn the new little Hampton much after I got it installed last winter, but when I did there weren't always enough coals left to get things going. We are just using it for supplemental heat in the kitchen and den, and it is a small fire box, so I didn't have many coals left in the morning. I thought the super cedars sounded like a really good deal that would make that a lot easier.

That is the perfect use for them. We don't need them in the winter with 24/7 burning, but they sure make shoulder season starts a lot easier. And we have long shoulder seasons here.

I just ordered another hundred a few minutes ago. I should have enough for the season but I keep giving them to folks and don't want to have to go find that kindling hatchet.

BrotherBart said:
I just ordered another hundred a few minutes ago. I should have enough for the season but I keep giving them to folks and don't want to have to go find that kindling hatchet.
You guys have me a little worried here. Not having ever used them, I didn't want to order to many and not like them. I only ordered the starter package of 30. So, am I going to be sorry? Wonder how long the discount lasts?

tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:
You guys have me a little worried here. Not having ever used them, I didn't want to order to many and not like them. I only ordered the starter package of 30. So, am I going to be sorry? Wonder how long the discount lasts?

Steve they work great! I loaded ash chunks last night and used 1/2 of a super cedar and it lit easily with no kindling! I think 1/3 would have sufficed and I will try that sometime.. I don't know about you but when it gets cold here I burn 24/7 so I will not need them then but in Fall and late spring I tend to light and let it burn out so lots of firestarting.. I can get kindling no problem here but it makes more mess than the wood does and decided to go with the Super Cedars this year.. It's also good to know that I am supporting a company that supports Hearth.com plus they really do work well.. I may try them for campfires as they are pretty waterproof to boot..

Ray

raybonz said:
tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

Steve they work great! I loaded ash chunks last night and used 1/2 of a super cedar and it lit easily with no kindling! I think 1/3 would have sufficed and I will try that sometime.. I don't know about you but when it gets cold here I burn 24/7 so I will not need them then but in Fall and late spring I tend to light and let it burn out so lots of firestarting.. I can get kindling no problem here but it makes more mess than the wood does and decided to go with the Super Cedars this year.. It's also good to know that I am supporting a company that supports Hearth.com plus they really do work well.. I may try them for campfires as they are pretty waterproof to boot..

Ray

Already had your first fire Ray?! Wow! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
raybonz said:
tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

Ray

Already had your first fire Ray?! Wow! Cheers!

Had a few, new stove just want to play with it lol.. It was in the upper 50's and I had a few windows open.. Just can't resist!

Ray

raybonz said:
tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

Ray
Ray, I burn 24/7 too, after it gets to where it stays cold. The new little stove my wife wanted in the kitchen was just installed the end of February last winter and so I really didn't get to formulate any kind of routine, plus it wasn't cold enough to run 2 stoves all the time. So, I was starting a fire in it a lot. It is small, by design.......we couldn't have a second stove in the kitchen, den area that was very big nor do we need it going unless it is pretty cold out. With its small fire box, it doesn't hold a fire as long as the main stove. Anyway, I went through a lot of kindling and newspaper starting it, that I wasn't used to with the main stove which goes 24/7. just reloading on coals. So the super cedars seemed like a good fit. I think I will like them.

I think the box of 30 will probably get you through the season, Steve. Remember, you can break them into 1/4's, so that's 120 fires. If you wanted to get fancy and break out the tools, you could cut them into 1/6's for 180 pie pieces which would probably work fine in your stove. OTOH, if you do run out, Thomas hit us with the discount again around the end of Jan last season. . .maybe he will do so this season. :)

tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

Steve, I'm not sure but think it is through September.

Order more if you think you'll need them, but they are not exactly real pricey at normal cost. [Not that I am one to avoid saving a few bucks, understand]. It depends on how many times you light a fire, or fires should you have more than one stove, during a season. If it is two times a day, or once every three days, makes a difference. Just remember that if you are willing to take the very small bit of time to split or quarter or eighth a a disc, you get a bunch of lightings off each of those thirty you bought. I got the free sample last year, I think they sent me two of them, and I lit three stoves and the fireplace several times from just those two. I did not even know that people often split them, I am just a CSOB when I can be and my very first thought when looking at the samples was, "I bet I can cut these down and get several uses from each." Bingo.

I cut one down to eighths. With those, I used a small bit of kindling, not because I had to, it just made sense. Those small pieces lit the fire right up. It could be they'd have started ok without the kindling, but I have a steady supply of kindling from splitting anyway.

Don't sweat it. Order more now, or don't. You'll be ok.

I just ordered a 72 count (greenies) for myself and a 30 count for my father, for his occasional fireplace fire that he'll have, and will give it to him as a Christmas present.

72 for myself is WAY more than enough. I still have a few left over from my own 30 count last year (and that is after giving some away to some friends/family to try out). Have a buddy that mentioned earlier in the year that he would split an order with me, so I'll see if he's still interested. If not, no biggie, as they won't be wasted -- just won't need to order any for the next year or so!! I also cut them down to four pieces (remember reading that from one of Savage's posts on them, last year), so that helps, as well.

No paper used since ordering them, but haven't convinced myself that kindling isn't necessary, as of yet, even though I have read enough posts from the rest of you that it is indeed true. I'll have to try it out to see for myself!! I appreciate the 15% discount, as well!!!

tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

The thirty will last you fine Chief. I always keep too much of everything on hand.

BrotherBart said:
tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:

The thirty will last you fine Chief. I always keep too much of everything on hand.

Except beer..... I ponder is there ever too much beer? I think not!

Ray

No, I doubt that 30 beers would be enough for Ray.

Pagey said:
Just picked up 6 Yuengling Black & Tan. So good.

Is that a dog species or beer? lol

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.