Supplementary Wood stove -- for backup cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Canuck_Prepper

Jan 29, 2019
calvin20
Hi guys.

I have two questions.

My wife and I are looking for a secondary woodstove for the upstairs of our bungalow (Ontario Canada) for ambiance, heat and a bit of cooking. We heat most of our house with a PE Summit in our basement but find especially when the temps get to -30 to -40ish range that we have to work the Summit awfully hard to comfortably heat the upstairs. (there have been a couple of nights this year that I actually broke out my Big Buddy heater to boost the temps in our living room)

We are looking at a double wall pipe, corner install in our living room and my first question is can anyone recommend a quality, attractive stove that has minimal clearances that could be used for some cooking? The two models that I've so far come up with are the Napoleon Gourmet 1150 and of course the Anderlea T4. (I know everyone is going to say go for the T5 but in my mind because the Summit heats satisfactorily on all but the coldest of days maybe 15 or so a winter...so a T5 in conjunction with the Summit would cook us out the rest of the year and + the T4 has a smaller foot print) Thoughts?

Also is there any advantage of putting the flu through the wall vs the ceiling? Is there perceptibly more heat retained with having more pipe within the building envelope? Any other building envelope/physics considerations or is it mostly a matter of preference?

Aesthetically, in our house situation I think it would look better going through the ceiling but it would mean working in the smallest/furthest back corner of our attic (I'd probably get a professional to install).

Thanks a lot guys.

As far as the stove goes check out JA ROBY pricey but looks to be the Cadillac of stove heating.

As far as the stove goes check out JA ROBY pricey but looks to be the Cadillac of stove heating.

Ja Roby makes lots of claims on their site but honestly I have to question most of them.

Hi guys.

I have two questions.

My wife and I are looking for a secondary woodstove for the upstairs of our bungalow (Ontario Canada) for ambiance, heat and a bit of cooking. We heat most of our house with a PE Summit in our basement but find especially when the temps get to -30 to -40ish range that we have to work the Summit awfully hard to comfortably heat the upstairs. (there have been a couple of nights this year that I actually broke out my Big Buddy heater to boost the temps in our living room)

We are looking at a double wall pipe, corner install in our living room and my first question is can anyone recommend a quality, attractive stove that has minimal clearances that could be used for some cooking? The two models that I've so far come up with are the Napoleon Gourmet 1150 and of course the Anderlea T4. (I know everyone is going to say go for the T5 but in my mind because the Summit heats satisfactorily on all but the coldest of days maybe 15 or so a winter...so a T5 in conjunction with the Summit would cook us out the rest of the year and + the T4 has a smaller foot print) Thoughts?

Also is there any advantage of putting the flu through the wall vs the ceiling? Is there perceptibly more heat retained with having more pipe within the building envelope? Any other building envelope/physics considerations or is it mostly a matter of preference?

Aesthetically, in our house situation I think it would look better going through the ceiling but it would mean working in the smallest/furthest back corner of our attic (I'd probably get a professional to install).

Thanks a lot guys.
Straight up is the cheapest and works the best. If you are that far down on the roof I usually just do it from the roof and inside no need to get in the attic.

Thanks for the input so far guys. It is a appreciated.... I didn't realize a roof install could be done without getting into the attic. That is very good info.

Do you actually want a cookstove with burners and ovens, or just a woodstove that you can put a pot on?

I'd love to get something more akin to a wood cookstove. We have used our Summit for 'cooking' and while it works it isn't as convenient or easy. At our last place we had an actual 'Baker's Choice' Amish cookstove that we LOVED and used often. Our new place does not have the room for an actual cookstove hence me going with the line of thought re: the Alderlea or Napoleon Gourmet. Thoughts?