Tarps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
This seems like the place to ask this......what is a good tarp? I mean who makes a good one. I've bought those cheesy blue ones for the last few years and I"m just over them ripping in the wind. I would rather invest in some good ones that I know will make it thru a few winters.

Thanks

HF has 5x8 heavyish silver tarp for <$5. Covers 2 pallets pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elle
Another vote for rolled rubber roofing. Had the same stuff now for 3 years, no rips or issues. And it was take-off material that I saved from the landfill, cost me nothing from a commercial roofing business nearby. It is much heavier than a tarp and less susceptible to wind blowing it off. I throw uglies and chunks on top to hold it down. I'd like to think the black color also helps cook the moisture out of the splits too

Reactions: Woody Stover
I've been cutting old pool covers into strips. Price is right, does ok for a few years until the wind starts shred it

Tarpsonline.com

I get the 16 Mil Heavy Brown ones - they last and last.
Free is better but these are great for the price.
Thanks for the suggestion--4'X20' looks exactly like what I need. I tried using scrap housewrap but it's too lightweight.

Reactions: Wood Collector
i thought i read somewhere the other day where someone reused lumber covers from a lumber yard. sounds like a pretty neat free option, those covers are pretty tuff.

i usually do like baseroom and cut old pool covers to size until they fall apart.

I use 4 mil 3' x 50' black sheeting. it lasts several years and is pretty cheap. No access to some of the free stuff mentioned here. As far as the plastic goes, the black last much longer.

Black rubber roofing material is good.
Amen. Good riddance to tarps. I find rubber roofing at my local re-store. I'm phasing out all my tarps, it's either rubber roof or under shed.

My in-laws donated their old in-ground pool cover. I cut it into strips, It is the best.

HF has 5x8 heavyish silver tarp for <$5. Covers 2 pallets pretty well.

I also use the Harbor Freight silver tarps. I think I've got 3-4 years on one so far, with a bit of fraying in spots, but no holes, held down on the stacks with bricks.

That rubber looks like the same stuff I used in my pond. That looks good. Thanks guys

Look up "used billboards" on thE bay. I got that idea from here. They are a good price for a seemingly heavy duty tarp. I guess the billboard material is basically really heavy tarp material.

Reactions: Elle
i thought i read somewhere the other day where someone reused lumber covers from a lumber yard. sounds like a pretty neat free option, those covers are pretty tuff.

i usually do like baseroom and cut old pool covers to size until they fall apart.

i have a couple of these that I use. they are nice because they have corners on them.... i am thinking about swinging by and seeing if i can get a few more after I get my stacks up to par....

This seems like the place to ask this......what is a good tarp? I mean who makes a good one. I've bought those cheesy blue ones for the last few years and I"m just over them ripping in the wind. I would rather invest in some good ones that I know will make it thru a few winters.

Thanks
I have found that the best tarp is a shed.

I have gone to putting a layer of cardboard on the top of my stacks, the putting the tarp over the top of that.
The tarps don't catch on the wood and shred. I also have some 1/2 gallon milk jugs filled with water that I attach to weight them down.
No big windstorm yet,but it seems to work so far.

I live in a mining area. I get free rubber belting off the conveyors. If not for that I use a pool cover.

Reactions: macattack_ga
I used a "blue" last year and a shower curtain.
Both fell apart.

Pruned the row of conifers and stacks are under a natural but not 100% protective cover.
Looking at the flotsam on the ground told me all I needed to know. The stuff wasn't in any state of decomposition
which means it doesn't get much water. 3 year old pine cones from the adjoining treeline are still under there
hanging out with the split wood wall running most of the length of the cedar row. Only the tops have gotten damp
at most.
wood 005.JPG wood 002.JPG
HAD to post the chipmunk chaser. That's Chewy, the shephoundlabweiler. (the other end is ugly too. lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Wallace
Tarps don't need to be exposed to wind stress. Or the sun. Take those out of the equation, and they will last a long time.

Very easy to accomplish. Use tarps that are just as wide as your wood pile, no more. (Cut a big one into strips & tape the cut edge with Tuck tape if you have to, or fold in half). Get your wood pile piled evenly on top, spread out your tarp, then add another layer of wood. The top layer of wood holds the tarp there, and blocks the sun from it. Plus you can hardly see the tarp - for those that don't like seeing tarps.

That's what I do, works great. Having said that, I might use old rubber roofing, if I could find some. Haven't been able to yet though. I tried a roll of asphalt roofing once, it didn't last as good as the cheap tarp - developed cracks.

Billboards work well also. I never tarp over the side more than a few inches. The only reason I tarp is to keep the leaves and snow out of the cracks. I bring a weeks worth up at a time to pack under the back patio overhang. I just double fold the bill board and actually use two wasters and nuts/bolts to keep them folded together. Then I have a set of old backhoe teeth that will weigh it down. I'll take a pic the next time I am at the barn.

Well got a billboard so we will see how that works. Thanks for all the replies

I use the sides of above ground pools. My father in law had an old pool and he gave me the metal sides. Approximately 54inches in width and the length is 60-75ft? (Not really sure, I cut to length needed). I rolled it up and once I had two rolls of splits stacked with an 8inch air space between them I rolled the metal pool sides out on top of my splits. This not only keeps them top covered but also has enough weight on top to stabilize the stacks so they don't fall over. I generally throw a handful of cinder blocks on top to keep the wind from grabbing the metal. My brother came over one day and saw the pool siding on my stacks and said, "want another pool?". I took him up on the offer and they have really worked out well. I cut to length and reuse once I use a stack.

We cut our tarps into 2.5" strips just to cover the top. Used a small soldering iron to make the cuts- melting the edge. Keeps fraying to a minimum. Like applying a flame to the end of a cut synthetic rope. Lots slower than scissors or a razor blade, but worth it. I found that tip on backpacking/camping website.

Status
Not open for further replies.