Tea Anyone? **Update More pictures of blow downs in my yard**

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
After all the snow melted we got one heck of a rain storm with some real strong winds. Looked out the side door to find this! Anyone want some tea before I try and get this to fallback in it's hole? (The Ivy has been notched for about 4 years now)
I sure am glad the wind was blowing away from the house on that side. I lost about 10 trees over the weekend. Some are nasty hangers!
Well I better get to cutting!

Attachments

• sasstree.jpg
    sasstree.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC02137.jpg
    DSC02137.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 535
oh man,

I hope that you can keep that sassafras alive if that is your intention. I love burning and cutting wood but I'm a total tree-hugger (I mostly salvage dead wood), and I hate to see trees die unnecessarily.

Sassafras are awesome yard trees I think. They have cool short stout branches, and their fruits are the craziest bright red and blue, leaves are fun to snack on as well.

I had a smallish tulip poplar blow over a little and hang in an oak a couple years ago, but has stayed alive and seems to be fine, so I'm going to let it be, as long as it doesn't seem to be putting too much pressure on the oak.

2 More pictures!

Attachments

• DSC02138.jpg
    DSC02138.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC02139.jpg
    DSC02139.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 518
Last one. Sorry for all the extra posts. I like big pictures!

Attachments

• DSC02140.jpg
    DSC02140.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 517
Just poured myself a cup of organic french roast.. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the finer things in life! It's stormy outside today, makes it really easy to stay inside and stoke the wood stove. I'll be burning yellow cedar, spruce and red cedar today.. I love the aromatic resins in cedar! My cat is trying to teach me how to be lazy, but I can't stand laying around all day. Besides, licking myself does not sound like that much fun. She amazes me! As she just spotted a magpie through the window, tongue still out from grooming and chirps.. If it weren't for pets, this long Alaska winter would be even more challenging to bare. Suns setting around 9pm since the change to spring. Summer, here we come!

Flint.. Any other trees worth munching on that you can speak of?

Bubbavh said:
2 More pictures!

That was a near miss on the shed!! Are you really gonna try and stand it back up.. I could help you with my bullbar and winch, but alas, Kodiak Alaska is a LONG ways from your sunny looking paradise... Have fun. Whatever you find yourself doing to that tree.. Is it really a sassafras?

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 522
FLINT said:
oh man,

I hope that you can keep that sassafras alive if that is your intention. I love burning and cutting wood but I'm a total tree-hugger (I mostly salvage dead wood), and I hate to see trees die unnecessarily.

Sassafras are awesome yard trees I think. They have cool short stout branches, and their fruits are the craziest bright red and blue, leaves are fun to snack on as well.

I had a smallish tulip poplar blow over a little and hang in an oak a couple years ago, but has stayed alive and seems to be fine, so I'm going to let it be, as long as it doesn't seem to be putting too much pressure on the oak.

I wish I could save it but it's a double tree, 10-12" DBH and the other is about 8" DBH. If you look at the last picture I posted it was hung on the pine tree that now is Topped.
No saving them... except to burn!

aquamaniac said:
Bubbavh said:
2 More pictures!

That was a near miss on the shed!! Are you really gonna try and stand it back up.. I could help you with my bullbar and winch, but alas, Kodiak Alaska is a LONG ways from your sunny looking paradise... Have fun. Whatever you find yourself doing to that tree.. Is it really a sassafras?

Sure was 2 feet to the left and bye bye shed! Thanks for the offer, but too much trouble to save it. I have a good amount of Sass. mixed in with all the pine. So these 2 won't be too missed. It's pretty nice here but paradise is in your backyard not mine!
Definitely Sass. I snapped a small piece of root... Love the smell!

right on!! we're both living in paradise!! For it is nothing more than a state of mind!! And besides, we both reside on the same planet. Earth is okay by me!! Besides, summer is coming, which means all species of salmon will be returning to the streams, bears will begin roaming about, deer season opens and the island turns from white and gray to Emerald Green! Yeah, I'll keep my paradise and you can keep yours.. Enjoy ...

aquamaniac said:
Flint.. Any other trees worth munching on that you can speak of?

Yes! but I'm not familiar with what grows in your area.

When I lived in more southern Virginia, I would frequently munch on Sourwood leaves - especially early in the year when the leaves were still tender - they are definitely sour - kind of like a sweet tart.

White pine needles are ok to nibble on - a little bitter.

Fir needles smell really great when you break them - kind of citrusy, though I wouldn't want to eat them.

Spice bush (small tree) also smells good when you crush it - used to be used as allspice

hmm, thats all i can think of as far as leaves go,

then of course there are the fruits - hickory nuts are awesome - way better than walnuts I think - taste more like pecan, beech nuts of course are good, pine nuts (actually seeds) are very good, acorns are super bitter unless boiled a ton - especially red oak acorns,

I've heard that you can eat the inner bark from slippery elm, but haven't tried it.

My wife was hounding me last Summer: "Why are you cutiting down that one?" My excuse was it was too close to the house, but if I was honest I would have told her it was because it was white oak! Well, we had our little windstorm and I looked like a friggin' genius.

Dang bubba you sure did lose a few trees. Only tree that came down in my woods was a leaner i been plannin on cuttin out anyways. Nature helped me with that one haha!

Now at work it's a differnt story. I spent the day cuttin blown over pines, leaners, fence smashers and couple blown over oaks. Im not even near done yet.

Did ya lose power at all over the weekend? We were out for 30hrs ...

SmokinPiney said:
Dang bubba you sure did lose a few trees. Only tree that came down in my woods was a leaner i been plannin on cuttin out anyways. Nature helped me with that one haha!

Now at work it's a differnt story. I spent the day cuttin blown over pines, leaners, fence smashers and couple blown over oaks. Im not even near done yet.

Did ya lose power at all over the weekend? We were out for 30hrs ...
I"ve kinda been laid up from any working lately. I had a large mole cut from the bottom of my foot a few days ago, and now I have a open hole in my foot! I did manage some cutting today... man! everything I cut was either hung wrapped in thorns, vines, and any other thing to make it especially hard on me! Heck the Sass was even bigger than I thought 15" DBH for the larger one. Trying to carry that out on a bad foot while being stuck with thorns cut my day a little short.

I was fortunate to not lose power at all during the storm.
I Got lucky there!

Bubbava- I am also in NJ. Have a 30' pine that is leaning at a 45 deg angle on another 30'. Also had a 30' break in half and land partially on a shed. Minor damage to the shed, thanks to my 4x4 and 2x6 construction using scavenged deck lumber. The tree hit the roof of the shed so hard it punched a couple of branches right through the plywood. Amazingly the double door just below where the tree broke the roof still works. Guess I need to get a picture.

gzecc said:
Bubbava- I am also in NJ. Have a 30' pine that is leaning at a 45 deg angle on another 30'. Also had a 30' break in half and land partially on a shed. Minor damage to the shed, thanks to my 4x4 and 2x6 construction using scavenged deck lumber. The tree hit the roof of the shed so hard it punched a couple of branches right through the plywood. Amazingly the double door just below where the tree broke the roof still works. Guess I need to get a picture.

Glad to hear you only had minor damage. A Picture would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.