Teach'em young

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I had some fun processing some firewood with my sons this weekend. I was splitting by hand (using the tire method) while the boys practiced parkour on the log pile. My sons were filling up the wheel barrel and helping me stack it all. I also gave them free rides in the wheel barrel on our walks back to the processing area from the stack.
Boys in the wood pile 1.jpg 20171119_153206.jpg Boys on the wood pile 1.jpg

Reactions: dafattkidd
That's a branch of Osage Orange my son is holding in the first picture.

I had some fun processing some firewood with my sons this weekend. I was splitting by hand (using the tire method) while the boys practiced parkour on the log pile. My sons were filling up the wheel barrel and helping me stack it all. I also gave them free rides in the wheel barrel on our walks back to the processing area from the stack.
View attachment 216364 View attachment 216365 View attachment 216366
Nice, I was out with my 10 year old twins doing much of the same. They each have their own 4 lb hammer and like to use wedges to split and take some whacks with the ax - both of which can be frustrating at times for them. Yesterday we rolled out the kindling cracker and generally speaking am very happy. It allows them to be self sufficient and enjoy success in their efforts:). The one lesson learned is to get the large size, the regular size is too short to handle 18" pieces (easily). Exchanging for the larger size as we speak.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Just be careful working by those tall stacks, I've had stacks like that tip over.

Just be careful working by those tall stacks, I've had stacks like that tip over.
Yes. Good advice. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but I do a row of cribbing every 3-4 feet to help stabilize the stacks. I have a small piece of property so I try to stack pretty high to optimize wood storage space.

That's awesome! Reminds me of my two. I used to take them to the woods and they would help load the trailer behind the garden tractor. My youngest had Muscular Dystrophy and he could only pick up the very smallest stuff so I always made sure there was some for him to pick up and load, it made him smile to help. We lost him 6 1/2 years ago but still have great memories. His nickname was 'Toot', not sure how or why he got that nickname but to this day when we get some cut down to 2 1/2 - 3" we call it 'Toot' wood. Too all of you, cherish every moment because you just never know.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Reminds me of my two. I used to take them to the woods and they would help load the trailer behind the garden tractor. My youngest had Muscular Dystrophy and he could only pick up the very smallest stuff so I always made sure there was some for him to pick up and load, it made him smile to help. We lost him 6 1/2 years ago but still have great memories. His nickname was 'Toot', not sure how or why he got that nickname but to this day when we get some cut down to 2 1/2 - 3" we call it 'Toot' wood. Too all of you, cherish every moment because you just never know.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am diligently trying to cherish the time I have on this earth, and your story of Toot encourages me to continue to prioritize family time over everything else.

Thanks for sharing your story Grateful11. Iam sure 'Toot' appreciated your efforts to include him.