Technology Differences Between Japanese and American Heat Pump Brands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomripley30

Jan 15, 2023
Napa, CA
I'm evaluating two proposals for a home mini-split HP system. One proposal using Fujitsu units says I don't need backup resistance heat strips. The other proposal for a Lennox-based system insists on adding heat strips. Weather in my are seldom gets down ot the 20s, but we have plenty of days and nights in the 30s. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the technology used in Japanese brands versus that used in some American brands?

I'm evaluating two proposals for a home mini-split HP system. One proposal using Fujitsu units says I don't need backup resistance heat strips. The other proposal for a Lennox-based system insists on adding heat strips. Weather in my are seldom gets down ot the 20s, but we have plenty of days and nights in the 30s. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the technology used in Japanese brands versus that used in some American brands?
Do you think that any of these things are made in America? If so, do you not think technology is “shared”.

Our US market is different so we don’t get all of the same options as those in Asia.

In Napa, a system can easily be designed to avoid the necessity of backup coils but the coils are very cheap and easy to add to any central system and an actual backup for a failed heat pump has value.

There are good American units. Our American Standard has done us well. Carrier has high-efficiency units now too. Highbeam is right about the blending of components and even companies. Trane is now Trane/Mitsubishi.

I agree that it's unlikely to need heat strips in Napa. We have them as a backup, but they have rarely been used.

Interesting. I got bids for mini-splits which included both Fujitsu and Lennox. Neither of those bids included heat strips (however, they were hyper-type, so can handle colder temps).

The only difference was price - at Lennox being more expensive. Granted this was in 2021, so things might have changed since then.

Also, I use pellet stoves for my main heat and have an old boiler for emergency backup. But last year I did use the mini-split for heat at 15* and above. But with the massive increase in electricity price this year, I've only used pellet stoves this season.

It sounds like you already have redundant backups. That's likely why the strips weren't included. Not adding them keeps bidding more competitive.

The difference between Napa and Southern NH is huge. If a compressor or valve went out, I'd want the heat strips or other backup to prevent pipe freeze-ups if nothing else. Zero-degree temps are not the same as getting chilly at 40º. In Napa, I would just have a couple of electric space heaters for backup.

Reactions: sloeffle
Also, you won't have backup strips in a minisplit. The strips are something added to central ducted systems, many of which are now using minisplit technology in the compressors and blowers.

Some folks do get confused that some brands of Mini Splits come with electric resistance heaters. They are not strip heaters, all they do is keep the outdoor unit from freezing up from water dripping off the coils during defrost cycles and it helps deal with any snow that might get blown in the unit.

Reactions: bogieb
Also, you won't have backup strips in a minisplit. The strips are something added to central ducted systems, many of which are now using minisplit technology in the compressors and blowers.

Ah, I missed that the OP said it was a Heat Pump MS versus a straight mini-split - my bad.

Some folks do get confused that some brands of Mini Splits come with electric resistance heaters. They are not strip heaters, all they do is keep the outdoor unit from freezing up from water dripping off the coils during defrost cycles and it helps deal with any snow that might get blown in the unit.
Okay, you’re right, even my new mini split has a pan heater but that is not what we’re talking about. The electric resistance coil heaters used for actually adding heat to the conditioned space of the home are not present in ductless minisplits. It’s not an option that I’ve ever seen. Has anybody?

Ah, I missed that the OP said it was a Heat Pump MS versus a straight mini-split - my bad.
All minisplits are heat pumps. Whether cooling only or the ones that heat and cool. The cooling only ones pump the indoor heat outside. None have backup heating coils.

I have seen minisplits used in small commercial where the indoor unit is in box above the finished ceiling. Its sized for a few rooms with "mini ducts". In order to meet outdoor air requirements, they run a duct from outdoors and preheat the air before tying into the supply plenum. In theory they could just run the reheater at higher load to pump in some heat.

Okay, you’re right, even my new mini split has a pan heater but that is not what we’re talking about. The electric resistance coil heaters used for actually adding heat to the conditioned space of the home are not present in ductless minisplits. It’s not an option that I’ve ever seen. Has anybody?
I have not. To my knowledge, mini-splits do not have heat strips for backup heat.

OP is in a pretty moderate climate. Modern mini- splits should be able to handle that no problem. I've been running our Daikins pretty well all winter. And also making a fire on every day in the boiler and cranking that heat up for a few hours to help with the electric bill. I dont really think about turning them off until it gets down to around -10c or below. Even then they can still heat below that. I was also under the impression that all of them have some extent of far eastern content no matter what the name plate says.

Reactions: Highbeam
Generally, it's a space issue. There is not a lot of room to add a strip heater in a mini-split head unit. One would think they would show up in some floor-mounted options, but they are rare. A little snooping found 5kW strip heaters as an option for some LG mini-splits, LG ANEH053B1 Electric Heating Strip.