jebatty Posted By jebatty, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:32 PM

1. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yes, there are miles of video of Tesla’s racing Hellcats and other muscle at 1/4 mile tracks on YouTube. The Tesla’s pretty much always win off the line, but usually lose at the finish. Vastly different acceleration curves.

Tesla owns the 1/8 mile track, though. I suspect no production ICE car can take them, there. There is just not enough time on that short track for an ICE to make up for the EV’s blindingly fast 0 - 30 times.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    YouTube has several track comparisons with the Tesla to other vehicles on the track. It performs well, though automatic systems can affect things like controlled drift, etc. Still, it's so fast off the line that the general impression is a lot of fun and that fun is a lot cleaner.

Beat the Audi RS7 and tied the Porche 911 Turbo S at the 1/4 mile mark

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Not a surprise, begreen. But what’s the MSRP on a typically-configured P100D with Ludicrous package? I suspect that, dollar for dollar, you’d do better comparing to the R8.

I know someone lucky enough to have a P100D as his daily commuter, his sports car is an i8. He went all electric years ago, but has the budget to suffer depreciation on multiple six-figure EV’s.

4. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    That "test" from top gear favored the Tesla overwhelmingly because they crafted the test to do so. The BMW would have trounced it on the track if it weren't a standing start, he also did a manual launch which was sub optimal.

In short, Tesla doesn't make a driver's car, but they do make fast cars. I do still want an electric vehicle some day, perhaps they will overcome the current sterile nature.

5. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    I'm not into fast cars. However, the Tesla Model 3 AWD is more responsive at every day performance than any ICE car I ever had. And I can't quite agree that the response is slow in the 60+ mph range. Certainly better than I've experienced previously. At least, plenty for me without leaving a desire for more. Heck, the Tesla is our family car, not the car for the track or strip.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What was the charging cost for your trip jebatty?

7. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I don’t think I said it was slow at 60+, it just doesn’t have the same acceleration as many similarly-prices ICE’s at highway speeds. It’s still a rocket off the line, buddy.

Of course it’s a family car, but it’s still fun to debate, and even more fun to put your foot into it sometimes.

8. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    My wife wanted me to drive the entire Colorado Springs trip. I did not object, graciously and humbly agreeing. Best time ever in a car on a diving trip.

woodgeek, lsucet, Ashful and 2 others like this.
  9. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    Is having a near silent car as amazing as it sounds (no pun intended)?

10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    ... of course we are likely to see more of these, with all the silent EVs zooming around...

11. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a delightful experience that doesn't get old.

12. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I think in a few years, especially with the way battery and electric vehicle technology is improving, we will have a garage and an electric vehicle.

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    To be honest, the only thing I miss from an ICE vehicle is the ability to blast out heat in icy winter temps. Fortunately we can preheat the car while still plugged in, but that is not always an option away from home.

SpaceBus likes this.
  14. SpaceBus

SpaceBus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2018
    Loc:
    Downeast Maine
    I think we will always have our ice vehicles as well. My truck is very useful beyond transportation. I'm really hoping for an electric Jeep Wrangler or small pickup truck in the future. I want something for rough roads, good for camping, cargo capacity, and room for dogs. My Dually is handy for my dogs and picking up heavy stuff, but not fun for around town. We won't be able to have a third vehicle until we build a garage, so it's like a five year plan. I'm interested in seeing how the market changes. Hopefully more charging stations will be common. This vehicle would be primarily used locally, so long distance range isn't even that critical.

15. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That would be a good time to pick up one coming off a lease plan.

SpaceBus likes this.