Tesla Model 3 Parked in Our Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: SpaceBus
Is your name Tony? [emoji3]

FIAT = Fix It Again, Tony!

I personally always preferred “Failure in Italian Automotive Technology”. I do love some of their cars, though, that Abarth looks hella fun.

It’s okay, you can tell me my car is Mostly Old Parts And Rust.

I had an SRT car a few years ago myself, lest you forget the dodge Dually sitting in the driveway as well. It actually just got a new water pump, but I suspect the previous pump to be 250,000 miles and 14 years old.

Reactions: Ashful
In that environment, what is your expectation for service and repair? It sounds likely that when you take this thing to a VW dealer for a recall, repair, or service item, it will likely be the first e-Golf that technician or mechanic has ever seen.

... and then what’s the chance they’ll have the part you need in stock, when it comes time for that repair?

Other than the driveline, the remainder of the e-Golf is all Mk7 or Mk7.5 Golf parts. So, if a wiper motor goes, or a window regulator goes, a window switch fails, or the rear view camera acts up, it's nothing the tech's haven't seen on a gas or diesel Golf. I've debated going and parking it at the dealership just outside the showroom on a weekend, just to annoy the sales people with customers asking "What's that?", "How do I get one of those?" or "Can I test drive that e-Golf outside??".

If I want to challenge a VW tech with something they've truly never seen before, I will take my factory supercharged VW Corrado to the dealership. My local dealership touched it once, ~20 years ago, and broke parts they shouldn't have if they knew what they were doing replacing my heater core... In retrospect, they probably should have reviewed the Bentley manual I left for them in the passenger seat. Having owned a VW Corrado since 1997, I can assure you that both my wife and I have mastered the "how to get the part you need ordered from the parts department for a car they know nothing about behind the parts counter". I have contacts at other dealerships that I've used to order parts for my obscure VWs.

As for actual "routine service" to the e-Golf, you rotate the tires, top off the windshield washer fluid, check the antifreeze (G13) level, check the tire pressures, change the cabin air filter, and drive the car another 10k miles. If you drive the car right, you basically never wear out the brake pads, because the braking is mostly regenerative.

The sales team at my local dealership already warned me "None of our service techs are certified on the high voltage systems on an e-Golf". Great, if the dealership intends to support the upcoming ID series VW electric vehicles, they best start sending their techs to school for EV's... From what I understand from the forums, VW utilizes traveling techs to fill in when a dealership cannot properly support the needs of the customer with an e-Golf.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
VW intends to develop 10 vehicles based on the MEB platform. They are placing all bets on going electric, including with the iconic van. I suspect their mechanics will learn this well enough.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Definitely. I’m just thinking that, as a customer with no particular brand loyalty, VW would not be my current top choice if shopping EVs. Someday in the future, sure.

Definitely. I’m just thinking that, as a customer with no particular brand loyalty, VW would not be my current top choice if shopping EVs. Someday in the future, sure.
All EVs are current choices, so to speak. ;)

Other than the driveline, the remainder of the e-Golf is all Mk7 or Mk7.5 Golf parts. So, if a wiper motor goes, or a window regulator goes, a window switch fails, or the rear view camera acts up, it's nothing the tech's haven't seen on a gas or diesel Golf. I've debated going and parking it at the dealership just outside the showroom on a weekend, just to annoy the sales people with customers asking "What's that?", "How do I get one of those?" or "Can I test drive that e-Golf outside??".

If I want to challenge a VW tech with something they've truly never seen before, I will take my factory supercharged VW Corrado to the dealership. My local dealership touched it once, ~20 years ago, and broke parts they shouldn't have if they knew what they were doing replacing my heater core... In retrospect, they probably should have reviewed the Bentley manual I left for them in the passenger seat. Having owned a VW Corrado since 1997, I can assure you that both my wife and I have mastered the "how to get the part you need ordered from the parts department for a car they know nothing about behind the parts counter". I have contacts at other dealerships that I've used to order parts for my obscure VWs.

As for actual "routine service" to the e-Golf, you rotate the tires, top off the windshield washer fluid, check the antifreeze (G13) level, check the tire pressures, change the cabin air filter, and drive the car another 10k miles. If you drive the car right, you basically never wear out the brake pads, because the braking is mostly regenerative.

The sales team at my local dealership already warned me "None of our service techs are certified on the high voltage systems on an e-Golf". Great, if the dealership intends to support the upcoming ID series VW electric vehicles, they best start sending their techs to school for EV's... From what I understand from the forums, VW utilizes traveling techs to fill in when a dealership cannot properly support the needs of the customer with an e-Golf.

G ladder Corrado? I know some guys back in NC that autocross with old Sciroccos and MK1 rabbits. The early water cooled sporty VW community is pretty small, so I wouldn't be surprised if you knew them. One is a square headlight rabbit that is one of the fastest cars I've ever seen with relatively no HP.

VW intends to develop 10 vehicles based on the MEB platform. They are placing all bets on going electric, including with the iconic van. I suspect their mechanics will learn this well enough.
Diesel did not work out for them, or really anybody it seems.

Diesel did not work out for them, or really anybody it seems.

Their diesels worked out fine for me. Two weeks ago, I was driving a 2004 TDI with 233k. In 2006, my wife got a new TDI which served us well and took us on travels for 169k before it was totaled in February. My sister has my old company car, a 2006 TDI with 128k (I put the first 125k on it), and my wife has a 2013 TDI with 57k which we bought to replace her totaled TDI above. The wife's 2013 was a VW dieselgate buy back that was reflashed by VW, and sold as certified pre-owned. The extra 40hp in the 2013 is definitely noticeable over my 2004! My favorite part of owning the TDI is not the daily fuel economy, it's the ability to find fuel for them after the gas stations all run out of gasoline prior to a hurricane. ;) I already sorta miss that with the EV.
I know some guys back in NC that autocross with old Sciroccos and MK1 rabbits... One is a square headlight rabbit that is one of the fastest cars I've ever seen with relatively no HP.
I have a friend who races SCCA in NC. My friend probably knows your friends. Prior to the Corrado, I had an S model Scirocco, which happily received an '85 Golf_//_GTI engine, complete with the knock sensing ignition and KE-Jetronic FI coupled to the S factory 5 speed (not the GTI close ratio box). If your friends are running the GTI close ratio boxes, the vehicles they are racing are light and nimble cars, even with under 100hp. The GTI engine I put in was 10.5:1 CR, and was rated 100hp. The jump from the stock 76hp to 100hp was well worth the efforts I put into my engine swap, but the 1.8L forced induction Corrado with 158hp was worlds more refined than my Scirocco.

I’m just thinking that, as a customer with no particular brand loyalty, VW would not be my current top choice if shopping EVs. Someday in the future, sure.

Aside from my obvious brand loyalty, what actually motivated me to park my 2004 TDI was the e-Golf incentives as the automotive model year came to a close. Tesla doesn't have new model 3's, and even Autotrader can't offer me a used Model 3 for nearly the price point I'm in the e-Golf for. Tesla is also done with their April 15th, federal incentives, having sold more than 200,000 units. I'll sink the remainder of what I could have spent for a Model 3 into my backyard solar farm...

Most people I talk to about this car say almost the same thing SpaceBus said: "I didn't know VW was selling a 100% Electric Vehicle in the US."

Reactions: sloeffle
A little surprised that the Chevy Bolt fails to get mention in the midst of all the comments. So, being a proud owner also of a Chevy Bolt, equipped with the DC fast charge option, and more than 20,000 miles since purchase in February 2018, this brief update: 1) problem-free from the start; 2) handles MN winters well, including driving in temps as low as -29F; 3) with a rated range of 238 miles, experienced reduced range to about 140 miles in the coldest of winter and expanded range to 300+ miles in summer at temps in the high 70's on a full charge and mixed local/highway driving. Nearly all charging is done at home on a Level 2 charger; most home charging is to approximately 90% using the Hilltop Reserve option; have used a DC fast charger only about 8 times.

In short, very pleased with the Chevy Bolt. It has met all of the goals I had when I purchased it.

Their diesels worked out fine for me. Two weeks ago, I was driving a 2004 TDI with 233k. In 2006, my wife got a new TDI which served us well and took us on travels for 169k before it was totaled in February. My sister has my old company car, a 2006 TDI with 128k (I put the first 125k on it), and my wife has a 2013 TDI with 57k which we bought to replace her totaled TDI above. The wife's 2013 was a VW dieselgate buy back that was reflashed by VW, and sold as certified pre-owned. The extra 40hp in the 2013 is definitely noticeable over my 2004! My favorite part of owning the TDI is not the daily fuel economy, it's the ability to find fuel for them after the gas stations all run out of gasoline prior to a hurricane. ;) I already sorta miss that with the EV.

I have a friend who races SCCA in NC. My friend probably knows your friends. Prior to the Corrado, I had an S model Scirocco, which happily received an '85 Golf_//_GTI engine, complete with the knock sensing ignition and KE-Jetronic FI coupled to the S factory 5 speed (not the GTI close ratio box). If your friends are running the GTI close ratio boxes, the vehicles they are racing are light and nimble cars, even with under 100hp. The GTI engine I put in was 10.5:1 CR, and was rated 100hp. The jump from the stock 76hp to 100hp was well worth the efforts I put into my engine swap, but the 1.8L forced induction Corrado with 158hp was worlds more refined than my Scirocco.

You still didn't tell me if it was a G ladder supercharger or not;lol the Corrado is probably the best looking early water cooled VW as well.

Then I'm sure you know of the SCCA famous Lamborbunni and the owner Zimmer and Co driver Duckworth. I think they took a few seasons off, but they did win the FSP National Championship with that old rabbit. I'm pretty sure it was 16 V swapped with a megasquirt system of Zimmer's design. I haven't been racing in three years and haven't really been on facebook in ages either so I don't know what is going on with the grassroots racing scene anymore. I hope to someday get a RallyX club started around here!

Good to hear that the Bolt is still getting some love next to its sexier sibling!

A little surprised that the Chevy Bolt fails to get mention in the midst of all the comments.

A buddy at work got a Volt in 2012, and traded it for a Bolt in 2016. Both leased. I’ve ridden in both, and have to admit the Bolt seems the most likely to hit all of the major requirements or desires of the average commuter. I wonder why they’re not more popular among the Camry or Altima (read “lame”) crowd, but it could be as simple as it’s wearing an American badge, and history has those folks fed up with the big-3.

The guy who owns them has never been into very fast or exciting cars, hence the Bolt, but he does love that car. He’s already starting to talk about his next EV, when this lease expires.

The Bolt was the most fun and nicest car I ever owned. I miss it.

I don't think Chevy really marketed the Bolt, and it's only recently that I have seen some PR releases from Chevy. Also, I think many Chevy dealers either didn't want to carry the Bolt and a trained tech to service it, or Chevy made it too expensive or onerous for dealers to carry the Bolt, or Chevy never had the supply or desire to actually deal with reasonable demand. The dealer from whom I purchased the Bolt is 140 miles away, and the local (40 miles away) dealer doesn't carry the Bolt and told me that it was too expensive to be certified by Chevy to carry/service the Bolt.

In my opinion, Chevy really dropped the ball on what could have been, and maybe still can be, a serious competitor in the commuter market. The hatchback design has lots of storage space with the seats folded down, and good space with the seats up.

This one is very interesting especially to the performance minded. A direct tesla competitor for their model X.
Im immensely curios about EVs . Thinking a high performance electric is in my future. Mostly as an expensive toy but hey i only have so much time left for toys, and everything else!

Last edited:
I don't think Chevy really marketed the Bolt, and it's only recently that I have seen some PR releases from Chevy. Also, I think many Chevy dealers either didn't want to carry the Bolt and a trained tech to service it, or Chevy made it too expensive or onerous for dealers to carry the Bolt, or Chevy never had the supply or desire to actually deal with reasonable demand. The dealer from whom I purchased the Bolt is 140 miles away, and the local (40 miles away) dealer doesn't carry the Bolt and told me that it was too expensive to be certified by Chevy to carry/service the Bolt.

In my opinion, Chevy really dropped the ball on what could have been, and maybe still can be, a serious competitor in the commuter market. The hatchback design has lots of storage space with the seats folded down, and good space with the seats up.
Our local dealer had a lot of Bolts and I really tried to like it, but it felt like a step down from the Volt. The interior felt cheap and the dash treatment cheesy. I found myself wondering if I could paint over all that white plastic. Also, the steering felt artificial and over corrective, like it was trying too hard to center the car, particularly on sloped surfaces. I love driving electric and wanted to like the Bolt, but my thoughts are that Chevy set the bar a little too low. This is one of the reasons we got the Volt instead of a Leaf. Our Volt only has 36K on it so we have decided to wait for the next generation.

Our local dealer had a lot of Bolts and I really tried to like it, but it felt like a step down from the Volt. The interior felt cheap and the dash treatment cheesy. I found myself wondering if I could paint over all that white plastic.
Thats good to know as im most likely going with a good used model. And used Volts are so much cheaper than
Bolts. Although id consider a new one if it were more family useful say a mid size SUV style. The volt would more like my daughters first car thing. And i do like the fact that theres no way you can get stranded with a dead battery in a volt.

What’s the battery life expectation on a used Volt?

From what iv been reading the degradation in the batteries is minimal and exceeding estimates. I guess due to the build quality and the thermal management system.

Yes, there seems to be minimal degradation during the life of the vehicle. The longest I have read is something like 468,000 miles and was still going, but it got in an accident. Word is someone else bought it and is resurrecting it now. GM went super conservatively with the battery pack and charging routines. It also has a good thermal management system.

I remember watching the YouTube cud’s from that guy with 468k miles on his Volt. It should be resurrected!

The youtube video where the guy owns both a Bolt and a Model 3 is interesting.

Theres some nice looking Model S Teslas, low mileage, even a P85 with 400+ HP in the low 30s on autotrader. A bit of a negative that you cant get parts for these or work on them yourself. But certainly a great ride.

Last edited:
Theres some nice looking Model S Teslas, low mileage, even a P85 with 400+ HP in the low 30s on autotrader. A bit of a negative that you cant get partes for these or work on them yourself. But certainly a great ride.
Hmm... just Googled "Tesla Service Center" and was a little disappointed at the results. Closest was 45 minutes each way, in off-peak hours, it would easily be 1:15 hours in peak traffic. If I end up being unhappy with those folks, the other three results are all at least a half hour to 45 minutes (each way!) farther than that.

Having nearly zero brand loyalty, I usually shop by which dealers are closest to my work or home.

Status
Not open for further replies.