tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

Just came back started tuning in for the season and saw your post. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and see the outpouring of encouragement from the forum. Just wonderful! God's grace is sufficient to those who ask. Hope the recovery continues to be rapid.

Sean

Steve, for what it's worth--and it might not be much right now--I have a strong hunch that there are folks down the road who are going to need encouragement, the kind, you will be able to give them because you can take their hand, look them in the eye, and say, "I've been where you are now . . . "

While this was not what you wanted to hear, from where I sit it looks like good news. (I know, easy for me to say, right?)

You're doing great, you just want to stay that way. Fortunately, the next few months where you live should be ice-free, so you'll be able to get out and about without additional risk of a slip.

Sometime you might want to go back here and read your earlier posts in this thread--it may help you see that you really are making phenomenal progress.

Best wishes for a continued uneventful and positive recovery.

snowleopard said:
Steve, for what it's worth--and it might not be much right now--I have a strong hunch that there are folks down the road who are going to need encouragement, the kind, you will be able to give them because you can take their hand, look them in the eye, and say, "I've been where you are now . . . "

While this was not what you wanted to hear, from where I sit it looks like good news. (I know, easy for me to say, right?)

You're doing great, you just want to stay that way. Fortunately, the next few months where you live should be ice-free, so you'll be able to get out and about without additional risk of a slip.

Sometime you might want to go back here and read your earlier posts in this thread--it may help you see that you really are making phenomenal progress.

Best wishes for a continued uneventful and positive recovery.
snowleopard, You are right on all counts. I know that. Just hard. But thanks! I have spent over half of my life helping people in trouble. I love helping people. Now, during this ordeal, I have been the recipient of some of that help. Thanks to all of you.

OK, here is the latest update for those of you who have asked.

The doctor finally got back to me with the results of the last X-Ray. Actually, his nurse called. She said that everything looked stable, which was good news, and that they will see me at my next appointment on the 24th of Oct...........Huh, is that it? I was counting on....."OK you can start bending a little, and lifting a little, and you can go back to work." Nope, not to be....I feel like I am stuck. But I guess some good news is better than none, or worse yet, bad news.

Edit: Oh, by the way, Oct. 24th is my birthday, so it better be good :coolgrin:

I know it has to be frustrating but thank goodness it's not worse! It will get better just don't push it, I have had a few back injuries which are minor compared to yours but what I learned was backs take a long time to heal compared to other parts of the body. I wish I had something more encouraging to say other than I'm pulling for you it will get better.
At least the forum is picking up and you can help people by giving them good advice so that might help pass some time. :)

Wow, I am just reading this thread for the first time. Glad to hear things seem to be going well. Hang in there Chief!

Thanks to all of you, again, for your thoughts and prayers and support, and to the Moderators and Craig for leaving this long-winded story where it is, even though it not so hearth related.

I have had incredible support here in my hometown. My family first......and then the town.....I think I have heard from every person in Tuscola IL. However, this family of hearth.com, that I did not really know I had until my accident, has been so equally important during my recovery. In the beginning, the pain and depression was almost overwhelming. I could do almost nothing except hide in my dark bedroom and take drugs. Then one day I came out, and one of the very first things I did was get on here and post the start of this thread. I desperately needed something to do and the support I immediately received. Most people who know me think I am a "tough guy". They are wrong. It is a front I have always put up for the sake of those I try to help everyday. Now I am being re-paid many times over with the help and support of others.

OK, enough. Someday this will all be behind me, but I just have to know that I thanked everyone who helped me get there!

Thanks again hearth.com,
Steve

Hi Chief, I too am just seeing this thread for the first time. You are an incredible guy with all the courteous replies to everyone!
I have appreciated your posts as long as I have been a member here. I'll say prayers for your continued healing. You really are quite a tough guy, no matter what you say!

tfdchief said:
Thanks to all of you, again, for your thoughts and prayers and support, and to the Moderators and Craig for leaving this long-winded story where it is, even though it not so hearth related.

I have had incredible support here in my hometown. My family first......and then the town.....I think I have heard from every person in Tuscola IL. However, this family of hearth.com, that I did not really know I had until my accident, has been so equally important during my recovery. In the beginning, the pain and depression was almost overwhelming. I could do almost nothing except hide in my dark bedroom and take drugs. Then one day I came out, and one of the very first things I did was get on here and post the start of this thread. I desperately needed something to do and the support I immediately received. Most people who know me think I am a "tough guy". They are wrong. It is a front I have always put up for the sake of those I try to help everyday. Now I am being re-paid many times over with the help and support of others.

OK, enough. Someday this will all be behind me, but I just have to know that I thanked everyone who helped me get there!

Thanks again hearth.com,
Steve

Sometimes the toughest people are the softest folks on the inside . . . trust me . . . I know . . . my wife is like you . . . folks who do not know her think of her as pretty tough (and she can be), but she also has a very soft, emotional side that she tries not to show to anyone since to her that would be showing a vulnerable side.

I like people like you and my wife . . . a lot of people never seen beyond the facade that you project to protect yourselves . . . I can never help myself . . . I always like taking a peek behind the front to see what the real person is like . . . it's in my nature.

Continue to get well Brother . . . and know that we have your back . . . well kind of . . . you know what I mean. :)

tfdchief said:
OK, here is the latest update for those of you who have asked.

The doctor finally got back to me with the results of the last X-Ray. Actually, his nurse called. She said that everything looked stable, which was good news, and that they will see me at my next appointment on the 24th of Oct...........Huh, is that it? I was counting on....."OK you can start bending a little, and lifting a little, and you can go back to work." Nope, not to be....I feel like I am stuck. But I guess some good news is better than none, or worse yet, bad news.

Edit: Oh, by the way, Oct. 24th is my birthday, so it better be good :coolgrin:

My birthday too Steve! I'll forget to wish you a happy one then so have a Happy one when the time comes! Glad to see you moving along for sure.

firefighterjake said:
Continue to get well Brother . . . and know that we have your back . . . well kind of . . . you know what I mean. :)
Yes I do Jake! And I think you know what that means to me as well. By the way, I have on the coolest damn T-shirt this morning.......Bangor Maine Fire Dept. :coolsmile:

And thanks CT, and you have a happy birthday too!

tickbitty said:
Hi Chief, I too am just seeing this thread for the first time. You are an incredible guy with all the courteous replies to everyone!
I have appreciated your posts as long as I have been a member here. I'll say prayers for your continued healing. You really are quite a tough guy, no matter what you say!
Thanks tickbitty, You are too nice. I am humbled every day by the responses from all of you. Thanks! Steve

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
Yes I do Jake! And I think you know what that means to me as well. By the way, I have on the coolest damn T-shirt this morning.......Bangor Maine Fire Dept. :coolsmile:

And thanks CT, and you have a happy birthday too!

Some people will do anything for a free t-shirt!! Stay loose Steve!

:lol:

Ray

To keep this Hearth related, is there going to be wood burning in your house this winter? Does your wife enjoy burning, or is that your domain?

Wood Duck said:
To keep this Hearth related, is there going to be wood burning in your house this winter? Does your wife enjoy burning, or is that your domain?
First, she does really enjoy the heat. She will tend the stove, but she prefers that I do it. At the last appointment, Sept. 12th, the doctor did up my lifting weight limit to a jug of milk. I really expect him to increase that a little at the Oct. 24th appointment. I guess it all depends on what he has to say. I think I will be able to. It will not be efficient because I probably won't be able to carry in much wood at a time and Becky will have to help me with them into the stove so I don't have to bend. I just really don't know Wood Duck.......I sure hope so. I will surely keep you all posted. I really think I will be able to but I will follow the doctors orders.

tfdchief- Sorry I have not expressed my sympathies or my support while you are
recovering.There are many excuses I could give, but none are worthy. I was in
your situation when I was only 20...very hard to look back at those times. I wish
you a very speedy and complete recovery. Take care and dont try to do too much.
I know that is easy to say coming from other people, but take it from someone who
has been there. You came thru quite well and it wont be long before you are doing
all the things you took for granted...appreciate every day.

Shadow&Flame;, Thank you. The support here has been incredible. Sorry to hear you had to go through this. I will say it has not been fun.

Great bunch of people here...that is what makes this site something special.
Not fun is an understatement, but it sure makes you take stock
doesnt it? Take care...

steve- i'm brand new on this site and was just browsing and came across your first post about your accident. i have to tell you my friend that i am ABSOLUTELY stunned by the incredible outpouring of sympathy and support -which i now add in spades!-from the great people on this site! having a wide range of interests( 277 favorite places saved on the net) i have never come across a finer forum than hearth.com.
not only is it incredibly informative,but the readiness to help anyone on here defies description.i plan to be an active participant on this site until my days before the fire are up.
again, my very best wishes for a full recovery and warm regards to your wonderful family as well as all of the great folks on hearth.com. art hoff

artmos said:
steve- i'm brand new on this site and was just browsing and came across your first post about your accident. i have to tell you my friend that i am ABSOLUTELY stunned by the incredible outpouring of sympathy and support -which i now add in spades!-from the great people on this site! having a wide range of interests( 277 favorite places saved on the net) i have never come across a finer forum than hearth.com.
not only is it incredibly informative,but the readiness to help anyone on here defies description.i plan to be an active participant on this site until my days before the fire are up.
again, my very best wishes for a full recovery and warm regards to your wonderful family as well as all of the great folks on hearth.com. art hoff
artmos, Welcome to the forum. You have this place figured out. It is like that no matter what you need. Look forward to hearing from you. Are you burning now? Put some stuff in your signature so we know what you are using. Oh, this place love pictures! Again welcome, and come back soon.

I've missed this whole thread till now, so let me add my sympathy, prayers & sincere wishes for your recovery. I hope you & your wife are able to enjoy some nice fires this season, and I hope you just crank up that thermostat the rest of the time & relax knowing you'll be back next year with wood that much drier!
With this nice weather we haven't been burning at all around here yet and that's just fine with me. Take care Steve.

Scott

midwestcoast said:
I've missed this whole thread till now, so let me add my sympathy, prayers & sincere wishes for your recovery. I hope you & your wife are able to enjoy some nice fires this season, and I hope you just crank up that thermostat the rest of the time & relax knowing you'll be back next year with wood that much drier!
With this nice weather we haven't been burning at all around here yet and that's just fine with me. Take care Steve.

Scott
Thanks Scott, So far I am recovering remarkably according to the Dr. I see him again Oct. 24th and am really hoping he turns me loose to start doing a little more.......like carrying splits and bending over in front of the stove :cheese:

artmos said:

Welcome to the forum Art.

It would be good to know your general area and what stove you are burning. If you have saws and splitters we like to see that too. Don't forget to look at the other forums here besides the Hearth Room. The Wood Shed is a great one to start with.

tdfchief, So sorry to read about your accident. :^( I've been away from the forum because of warm weather and some family things so I have just read about it. Great to see the wonderful response from the great people on this forum, just AWESOME!!!

Your recovery seems to be going well in light of how bad your injuries were and I hope and pray it continues!

Take care and prayers for even better days to come!!

Happy Birthday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.