The Accidental Scroungers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey517

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2010
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
The story:
The plan was to cut and split some wood yesterday at my friends place, but heavy rain left us drinking coffee in his barn. While shooting the breeze, we decided to trek over to our Husqvarna dealer. My friend bought some oil, filters and assorted other stuff - I bought NOTHING!!

While there, rain stopped and sun came out. On the ride home, we came across the remnants of a white oak that had been taken down by the county. The easy stuff was all taken and the only stuff left was the trunk and larger logs. Did I mention these parts were also up an embankment.

We found it really hard to drive away from all that good oak, so.... off to his place (15 minutes away) where we got his dump truck and farm tractor, saws and other "implements of destruction", and headed back.

We set out cones and got to work. These photos were taken while I waited for him to take the first load back to his place. All in all, two full dump loads. We'll process it at his farm later.

All in all, a good day!

IMG_6682.jpg IMG_6687.jpg IMG_6690.jpg IMG_6688.jpg
IMG_6685.jpg IMG_6681.jpg

That's just cheating. Makes scrounging look easy.

It's great when you can plan a scrounge, but dumb luck is more than half of my scrounges. At least you're well equipped!

I, too, find it hard to pass up White Oak. I know where there's one I could get but it's not as clean as what you got.; More crotches. So I've talked myself out of it....so far. ==c

I can't pass on white oak either. It's good stuff, just got into a white oak / hackberry score at a bridge were building. Like to have the equipment y'all have :cool:

How's that Husquvarna treating you? I'm in the market for a new saw and would like to get one with a 24" bar.

Nice way to score!! Gosh I wish I could find Oak logs laying next to the road! I'm finding the scrounges I've stumbled upon, I get the leftover big stuff that others couldn't handle or lift into a pickup. Just bought a utility trailer with fold down ramp which makes it possible to roll up the bigguns by myself.

Sweet Score!!!:cool: In my neck of the woods, any free wood is well worth the price of admission. That much free white oak, well...that's like skydiving naked and getting paid for it!!!!

Reactions: mikey517
How's that Husquvarna treating you? I'm in the market for a new saw and would like to get one with a 24" bar.
That is a real great saw! Runs smooth and strong, and since I slapped the XP emblem on it..runs even stronger!:p

Seriously, it's one of the best buys I ever made. If I ever get the time, I'll have the baffles removed and bring it up to the 372 XP XT specs. My friends 372 is a pre-Xtorq, and we can pretty much cut side by side in some big oak, maple, etc. His does have a bit more grunt it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.