The pain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That’s indeed painful to read and see, I look for „free firewood“ here and there too and it takes a long time to get a find, it is usually softwood that even the property owner don’t want as firewood.. but hardwood? What a catch!

You should try to speak to your wife respectfully, give her your word that any wood that was sitting in the backyard and any more that you bring in, will be split and stacked period with no further delays - she should understand and accept it, hopefully

Good luck

You need to figure out a strategy to get that wood CSS fast. This year I managed to load my trailer and once home cut and split the wood and stack it all within 24h. An empty trailer and a clean yard makes things easier with my wife. It’s all about trust with them

Reactions: SpaceBus
A guy from the company doing all the water pipes on the street loaded it all into the huge dump truck with his front loader and took it. I have a splitter this weekend. Going to split all my downed wood and take down the 2 standing dead oaks at the edge of my property. Should have a good stack when all said and done.

Reactions: myth83
The heat from any kind of wood, even oak, is NEVER worth the radiation effect given off by an irate and glowing spouse. It is time to put on your negotiating hat and wind up with a happy spouse and a bigger pile. By all means though ,get that yard cleaned up and strengthen your position.

Reactions: Bushels20
Too late, but I would have suggested buying her a gift equal to the value of the wood you'd get. She might have agreed to that. Break even for you, win for her.