Thermometer on QuadraFire Explorer II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Adina

Nov 9, 2017
Baltimore Maryland
Hello. I am a long time lurker, first time poster… I just installed a brand new Quadra Fire Explorer II woodstove to use as my main source of heat in my single story home in Maryland. It is replacing an older Vermont Castings. I did a ton of research in deciding what to replace my older stove with, and landed on the Explorer II, while recognizing it was gonna be a BIG change and I have to allow for a learning curve to get used to the many differences. The first major question I am running into is: where to place my stove thermometer? I have a magnetic Rutland thermometer.

On my old VC I would place the magnetic thermometer on the top of the stove and I felt I got an accurate enough read to be able to manage my stove. I utilize the temperature of the stove to know when to cut down on the air intake to “tamp down” the stove for the long burn. (Usually once it got up to about 400 degrees I would cut the air off/back and get a good clean hot burn). On this new Explorer II stove, I do not feel I am getting anywhere near an accurate temperature read from having the thermometer on the top. I don’t know if that has to do with the fire box being steel and then wrapped in cast iron, or what, but I have done about 6 full burns in the new stove and I don’t think the thermometer has register over 250 degrees yet, even though I heated the whole house (the room with the stove in it was about 85 degrees). So where should I be placing the thermometer? Also, my stove pipe is double walled, so I can’t get a read off of a magnetic thermometer on the pipe. Where to do others place their magnetic thermometer on a QuadraFire Explorer II?

Also, anyone have any good ideas on how to manage the ashes on this model? The ash system is WAY different than my old VC, and I haven’t yet figured out how to deal with the ash when I keep the stove running 24/7. Any ideas/tips are welcome.
Much thanks, Adina
IMG_3961.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Double wall needs a probe thermometer about 24 inches up pipe from stove.

I have the Explorer 3 but use IR to get temp in various spots. Main air does slow close automatically using the ACC on the 3 but playing with manual setting to get best long burn .

I don't even use the ash tray. I just try to find best time in the week to let stove burn out and scoop into my ash can via front door, then do new cold start up.

Thanks Webfish! I'm thinking of purchasing an infrared thermometer to get a more accurate read on what's going on. Any recommendations re infrared thermometer brand, or particular features to look for? Thanks!

How do you like the Explorer II so far?
I’m looking into purchasing a stove and haven’t found a lot of reviews on the Quadra-Fire Explorer.

I don’t have a large area for the stove so I like the small foot print of the hearth that’s required.