thickness of a stainless chimney liner ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I think that most of the flexible stuff is around .006ish. It must really be tough. If you have a straight shot on your liner, consider going rigid. My Rhino liner is about 1/16th inch thick.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
I think that most of the flexible stuff is around .006ish. It must really be tough. If you have a straight shot on your liner, consider going rigid. My Rhino liner is about 1/16th inch thick.

Good luck,
Bill

Your Rhino liner is 24 gauge pipe. .0239 inches thick. One third of 1/6" steel thickness which would be .0625.

Thickness shmickness. Install a listed system correctly and the heat's off.

That being said I'd go for the best liner I could afford. I agonize over things like this. My oil boiler has a liner that is very smooth-walled compared to the liner I finally bought for my stove. I'M NO EXPERT but I think its the alloy of a liner that will determine its real longevity/durablity compared to the thickness. Using a poly brush vs a steel one can reduce the scratching and eventual surface area exposed to corrosion. A .005 316ti liner may in certain circumstances be better than a .007 gauge liner made from an alloy with a lower heat tollerance. I get trapped in feedback loops with things like this, eventually freezing up and unable to make a decision. Best not to listen to me.

Thickness shmickness.

A .005 or .006 316ti alloy liner with do the job fine. Two or three years ago one vendor started advertising a .006 liner and the marketing race was on.

The .018 stuff is called double wall and has a smoother interior. It is a .005 316ti outer liner with a 304 interior strip bonded to it. Supposedly superior but it has its own set of problems. That interior strip tends to do weird stuff when you uncoil the liner. I had one and pulled it out after one season and replaced it with a single wall .005 liner.

BrotherBart said:
A .005 or .006 316ti alloy liner with do the job fine. Two or three years ago one vendor started advertising a .006 liner and the marketing race was on.

The .018 stuff is called double wall and has a smoother interior. It is a .005 316ti outer liner with a 304 interior strip bonded to it. Supposedly superior but it has its own set of problems. That interior strip tends to do weird stuff when you uncoil the liner. I had one and pulled it out after one season and replaced it with a single wall .005 liner.

what happened with the liner that made you replace it?

Thing was a piece of crap from day one. When you uncoil it the inside laminations separate and you have creosote catching openings where it happens. And since the thing was so thick I had to ovalize part of it to get it up my chimney. Which just opened up more of those flaws since the inner band is only attached to the outer liner at one edge.

Anybody want six hundred bucks worth of one of those things. Come and get it. It is laying in the woods beside the house. Might make a great drain hose if I need it some day is the only reason it ain't in the landfill.

The three hundred dollar.005 Simpson Duraflex I replaced it with seems to be doing fine after five season.

BrotherBart said:
leeave96 said:

Good luck,
Bill

Your Rhino liner is 24 gauge pipe. .0239 inches thick. One third of 1/6" steel thickness which would be .0625.

I use to have a piece of the liner around here somewhere, .0239 is probably right, but "One third of 1/6" is not .0625.... ;)

Thanks,
Bill

leeave96 said:
BrotherBart said:
leeave96 said:

Good luck,
Bill

I use to have a piece of the liner around here somewhere, .0239 is probably right, but "One third of 1/6" is not .0625.... ;)

Thanks,
Bill

And that is not what the post said.

Status
Not open for further replies.