• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swampjack

Mar 2, 2023
Pennsylvania
I’ve been doing all of the research I can hoping for a definitive answer as I’m planning on installing a wood burning stove insert come this summer In preparation for next winter.

I believe what I have is a heatilator fireplace which is not a zero clearance fireplace and should be surrounded by masonry behind the steel firebox lining correct ? I don’t see how that’s possible as its backed up to a room on the other side of the house .

I want to do this safely as I possibly can (obviously)

I would need to cut or notch the smoke shelf to clear the insulated steel flex liner which I want to be sure is going to be safe and not transfer excessive amounts of heat to my homes combustible material.

I’ve posted some pictures outlining where I belive I would need to notch , my research says there should be another layer of steel behind the smoke shelf and behind that layer the should be brick correct ?

The chimney is interior running through my attic and exiting through the roof.

Please bring me good news that this is in fact a heatform not a zero clearance fireplace. I jumped down this rabbit hole a little fast
And already bought a log splitter and have been busting my butt cutting / splitting / stacking in preparation for my plan to install an insert. tear out is not an option (budget constraints) and my plan to install an insert would have to be scrapped if I can’t just install it here.

There are vents on the top and bottom of the masonry , there is also NO tubes inside of the flue if that helps .

Thank you ! sorry if I’m beating a dead horse just can’t take any chances with this

1D5259AB-D11E-4706-B168-5C3A46A95C0B.jpegD3D9BAE0-78F6-4BC7-BFB0-D472EACD58F7.jpegD0F4B61F-10B5-4534-A7F3-53031682E16B.jpegEE4B1848-0F31-4162-A159-A096356B0B11.jpegC0BAA998-1D8A-42DD-8BDD-9F4D5C5B40EC.jpegCD4D7895-F3E0-4298-957E-5AB8B01FC49B.jpeg

Sure looks like a heat form. For safety concerns, have a certified hearth/chimney professional inspect the entire system BEFORE you make your purchase.

Reactions: Swampjack
It's a heatform style fireplace. The chimney will need to be thoroughly cleaned, then inspected for defects. If ok, a 6" insulated liner can be installed that connects to an appropriate insert. The damper gets removed and some of the area marked in red would need to be cutout to clear the liner and insulation.

It's a heatform style fireplace. The chimney will need to be thoroughly cleaned, then inspected for defects. If ok, a 6" insulated liner can be installed that connects to an appropriate insert. The damper gets removed and some of the area marked in red would need to be cutout to clear the liner and insulation.
Thank you , would you say that it’s NOT a zero clearance type? That should be safe to all complete right ? , atleast based on what you see

That's correct. It is a metal fireplace. As long as the stove and flue systems requirements are met and to code, it should be safe to proceed.

Ok thanks! Just mainly concerned about where the chimney liner will sit in the notched portion !
That will be more apparent once the damper is removed.

I don’t see how that’s possible as its backed up to a room on the other side of the house .
It would be worth some exploratory surgery first to see if this fireplace was legally and properly installed. I think there need to be one 4" thickness of brick between it and combustibles. bholler is that correct?

It would be worth some exploratory surgery first to see if this fireplace was legally and properly installed. I think there need to be one 4" thickness of brick between it and combustibles. bholler is that correct?
It is generally 4" yes but there were a few fireboxes that required more

Ok thanks! Just mainly concerned about where the chimney liner will sit in the notched portion !
It will sit similar to this.... which is a mock up of cheap flex aluminum to ensure fitment.

mock liner fitting.JPG