Thought for bottom of wood stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddypd

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Long Island NY
As we continue to recover from Sandy storm damage I have seen lots of cedar fence sections at the curb for garbage. Would they make good floors for the wood shed? I currently use pallets and they work great, are strong and allow good air flow, but was wondering if anyone thought to use fence sections? I am guessing they may rot quicker than pallets.

Just a thought.

cedar is commonly used for fence posts because it doesnt rot like many other woods. It would last a lot longer than many of the pallets you are currently using.

1) It's free, so it's definitely a good idea!!

2) Cedar lasts forever!! I have a bunch of old cedar posts on my property with barbed wire on them from way back in the day. I've tried to push a few over by hand, no luck, they're still pretty solid. No idea how long they've been there but my guess is >100 years or so.

I like the cedar beneath pallet idea. Grab a bunch and let the cedar take the brunt of the elements being in contact with the ground all the time.

Reactions: ScotO
Would they make good floors for the wood shed? I currently use pallets and they work great, are strong and allow good air flow, but was wondering if anyone thought to use fence sections? I am guessing they may rot quicker than pallets.

Just a thought.

Good thought ;)
Should last quit a few years

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.