Thrown rounds to stacked and split volume change?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

siltsunrise

Aug 7, 2018
Deutschland
I've read plenty of the threads on this but haven't spotted the answer to my question yet.
I'm just looking for a rough idea of what thrown rounds stack down to when split and stacked.
I have a rough idea of what the relationship between stacked rounds and stacked splits is, but dunno the difference when it's thrown rounds.
I'm talking about 20-40 cm (8-16") long rounds, of similar thicknesses, from what I can see in a photo.

Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
Arighty, I'll just buy some and post results for future reference. :)
After you do it a while you will get a sense of it for how you split and stack but you just have to do it a while

My guess is the stacked pile will be approximately 15-25% smaller. Throwing rounds or splits into a trailer vs. stacking them does not usually make as much difference as you would think.

I've seen the conversion listed in some state's documentation on the web. Unfortunately I can't remember where. Of course, I'm sure it's very approximate.

Maine.gov › mfs › downloadsPDF
Web results
fire wood facts2 2017 - Maine.gov

The above url gives what Maine considers a loose cord

This has been a topic of some debate for years. Rounds vary in size/shape and it can be very difficult to know what they will turn into volume wise. As far as thrown vs stacked splits, thrown is supposedly ~180 cu ft and stacked is 128 cu ft. I just stacked about 1.5 cord today and I swear it took up the same space both ways, within a margin of error.