Tick bites and Lyme disease

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
Wow... I had no idea they were so bad, up your way. I find maybe one on me each year, often none in a whole year, and I spend a lot of time outdoors.
My brother walked his dog on an abandoned golf course near our house and had eleven on him. They're working their way north from conn/ma to northern new england.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Supposedly theres a lab testing facility on an island off the coast of Lyme CT where the first cases of childhood arthritis was diagnosed. In 1972. And it is inaccessable and also supposedly owned by a German company. Where they lab test animals. It has been speculated to the possibility of some kind of containment breach. I read this in a magazine years ago.
Just saying...lol.
I think they are referring to Plum Island off Orient Point, NY. It is owned by the US Government and was an animal disease research facility, but I think they moved it to another state. Anyway, I heard stories about lime disease originating there. I am not sure how true it is.

paredown

Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
Glad I weighed in on this thread before--be careful out there. Remember--there is no such thing as a "summer Flu" -- so if you have Flu-like symptoms in the summer, there is a high likelihood that you have been bitten and are feeling the effects of a Lyme infection. A fairly significant percentage of people will NOT get the classic bulls-eye rash to alert them. (some estimates place it as low as 27%! :

The best book I have read about treating the effects is this one if anyone is fighting after effects:

Grizzerbear

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
A guy I work with came in today. He was off sick yesterday. Apparently him and his son hung deer stands late last week and he got ticks on him.....no big deal. He said him and wife went out and ate.....sick all weekend. Went to hospital yesterday....ran tests. Apparently he has alpha-gal syndrome from tick bite which is a red meat allergy. He said he has to go back in a month or so for more test but doc said allergy should go away. I hope so because I couldn't imagine not being able to eat a steak.

MichaelAL

Sep 26, 2019
Rhode Island
Supposedly theres a lab testing facility on an island off the coast of Lyme CT where the first cases of childhood arthritis was diagnosed. In 1972. And it is inaccessable and also supposedly owned by a German company. Where they lab test animals. It has been speculated to the possibility of some kind of containment breach. I read this in a magazine years ago.
Just saying...lol.
Its called plum island and I grew up looking at it across the water everyday. It is indeed an animal disease research facility, but the idea that lyme originated there is a non-truth. The disease had been prevalent in many areas around the country, but it wasnt until a physician in Lyme, CT recognized the pattern in symptoms and realized this was an as yet unknown virus. Hence it became known as lyme disease and plum island is a coincidental occurence that conspiracy theorists love to point at from ferry boats.

Reactions: Ashful

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
No truth to the rumor the long island beast was created on plum island either.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
Its called plum island and I grew up looking at it across the water everyday. It is indeed an animal disease research facility, but the idea that lyme originated there is a non-truth. The disease had been prevalent in many areas around the country, but it wasnt until a physician in Lyme, CT recognized the pattern in symptoms and realized this was an as yet unknown virus. Hence it became known as lyme disease and plum island is a coincidental occurence that conspiracy theorists love to point at from ferry boats.
I used to live across from here too!

spitfire557

Jan 29, 2019
PA
Lots of good information in this thread!

About a year ago, I fell victim to the "summer flu" and a few work buddies insisted I get checked for Lymes. My doctor did not support that theory but agreed to have the blood work done. About 24 hours later I get a phone call from their office telling me I tested positive for Lymes.

FYI - I've pulled plenty of ticks off me prior to this, but none that were bitten/latched onto me. I also did NOT have the classic bulls eye mark.

In the weeks following, I began experiencing chest pain and numbness of the hands/feet. A few trips to the cardiologist cleared any possible issues with the heart, but confirmed that the Lymes was effecting particular muscles in my chest, causing the discomfort.

A year later and I'm mostly recovered, but still experience occasional numbness in my hands, and occasional chest discomfort.

This year - I'm still pulling ticks off of my dog (even yesterday, November 2nd) despite having a few cold nights in the books. Be careful out there and make sure you check yourselves!

Reactions: Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
My property has a lot of whitetail deer and has deep woods on 3 sides. Fortunately iv never even seen a tick there in the last 10 yrs since iv been looking for them. I always ck myself after working outside. I avoid low hanging tree branches and tall weeds were they may be lurking but i guess iv been lucky. Im sure they are there in big numbers .

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
Its suprising your doctor wasn't on board with your Lyme theory, I know people that have severe repurcussions from their doctor not testing for lyme. It such a simple test they should do it automatically. Glad you caught yours early and should be ok.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Its suprising your doctor wasn't on board with your Lyme theory, I know people that have severe repurcussions from their doctor not testing for lyme. It such a simple test they should do it automatically. Glad you caught yours early and should be ok.
My father had exactly the same experience last year. His insurance also refused to pay for the testing because he didn't have the typical indicators that call for testing. They did pay for the treatment though.