Tick talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It has been a warm wet winter. Going to have an explosion of ticks this spring I bet.

I have several people that live near me that have had the Alpha-gal syndrome. My nearest neighbor across the street (probably about 200 yards or so from me) had it. The woman and her daughter who lives in the next house over have had it. A guy back the road has had it. He was a big guy and lost a lot of weight after he got it.

Since I retired almost seven years ago I always pull several ticks off of me each year, mostly in the springtime. I eat quite a bit of red meat and have been having stomach problems for over a year now so I might possibly have it. I need to make an appointment and get myself tested.

My dog has had a few ticks this winter and it's the first winter that I have known him or any of my other dogs in the past to get ticks during this time of the year.
The soresto collar for dogs has worked well for us.

I also just re sprayed my woods clothes with permethrin. Socks, pants, t shirt, long sleeve shirt, and hat.

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd share... permethrin is the best to repel/kill ticks...I usually
have a pair of old shoes spayed with it. My other suggestion is a pair of gaiters also sprayed
with permethrin. They're simple to slip on and off and fairly lightweight (depending on the fabric)
and can be tucked into my permethrin sprayed shoes so I can always find them.
Just a thought.

Yes i forgot to add Shoes to the list of permethrin sprayed clothes. I think i have 2 or 3 pairs now sprayed with it.

And i sprayed 2 dog blankets that cover each of the new dog's beds.

Reactions: ispinwool
As warm as this winter has been, I believe that last year had even fewer contiguous cold days, at least around here. If the population growth is compound, this year on last, then you're right... this year could be remarkably bad, due to two consecutive warm winters.
It definitely is already worse in our area. My wife and I walk our dog in the woods usually 3 or 4 times a week depending on the weather. All our trails are free of leaves and 7 ft wide. Basically dirt paths just to help cut down our chances of picking up a tick. We use permethrin on our shoes and pants, give our dog his monthly dose of Simparica Trio, and spray him down with a natural tick repellent prior to walking. So far this year, we have taken 12 ticks off of him. None were attached cause they do not like the spray. I have found several crawling on me and my wife has also. And we both found one attached to us the following morning after a walk. We tick check and change our clothes once we are home. If you spend any time outside at all, you will eventually find a tick on you. It's a constant battle. Stick to the best game plan you can and remain diligent Unless your willing to spend your life indoors....we are not. Good luck

I recently ordered a new flea and tick collar brand for my dogs. FurLife claims to be all natural repellents and works up to 8 months. We will see how well they work.

Reactions: ispinwool
I recently ordered a new flea and tick collar brand for my dogs. FurLife claims to be all natural repellents and works up to 8 months. We will see how well they work.
I may have to try one of these for our dog. She's a 13 year old Lab and I'm leery of some of the ingredients
of the 'standard' collars. I've heard of so many dogs getting so sick from them; she'd never recover.
(granted, she doesn't have much time left...but I'd feel awful if I was the reason she died a horrible death!)

Reactions: danrclem
many years back they had a perm spray for dogs it worked well but it disappeared off the shelves. Seems like all the stuff that we used to be able to buy over the counter that helped our 4 &2 footed friends is all regulated and only available from & through the vets now. wait two or more weeks for an appointment , pay $$$ for apt & prescription , over priced, for things I could have taken care of right away. irritating to say the least ( grew up on farm we did 98% of everything ourselves for the animals) Kid has a lot of fowl of various kinds, around 150, all free range on his place- ticks arn't a problem there, frigging Norway rats are right now. Pumping CO down the tunnels as much as possible. My place I have gophers and wood chucks to deal with CO works on them also, + i get plinking time with the air guns on the vermin. These are not your Daisy or Crossman rigs of of the past equal to 22lr. Are not considered firearms , so get around all those rules.

many years back they had a perm spray for dogs it worked well but it disappeared off the shelves. Seems like all the stuff that we used to be able to buy over the counter that helped our 4 &2 footed friends is all regulated and only available from & through the vets now. wait two or more weeks for an appointment , pay $$$ for apt & prescription , over priced, for things I could have taken care of right away. irritating to say the least ( grew up on farm we did 98% of everything ourselves for the animals) Kid has a lot of fowl of various kinds, around 150, all free range on his place- ticks arn't a problem there, frigging Norway rats are right now. Pumping CO down the tunnels as much as possible. My place I have gophers and wood chucks to deal with CO works on them also, + i get plinking time with the air guns on the vermin. These are not your Daisy or Crossman rigs of of the past equal to 22lr. Are not considered firearms , so get around all those rules.
Our dog used to have UTIs regularly and we got some advice to give her cranberry pills (found in
the local Walgreens)....the vet wanted to pump her full of meds that never worked for very long. When
we told her about using cranberry she said "oh ya, I'm not allowed to tell you about those. But those
are a good idea." And, of course, there's all the tests that go along with vet visits! It's all about the money!

My son has one of those airguns...he has a ball with it! We generally get our gophers with a .22
We live in a small town that has a wee sportsman's club--lots of shooting. So when we get out
the .22, no one bats an eye. LOL

wayneairgun.jpeg

Reactions: thewoodlands