Today's haul/ wood Id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
The inlaws has some trees taken down this week and had the logs saved for me. I got a truck load today. I know it's oak and think locust. Is it honey locust or black locust?

Attachments

• 20170220_164409.jpg
    20170220_164409.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 235
Nice, not black so must be honey, just as good

Honey locust. Splits like a dream. I have one in my back yard that's about 40' tall that needs to come down. It trashes the yard with those seed pods.

If it is honey locust it may have some nasty thorns on it. Also Honey locust smells sweet when it is split. One of my favorite woods to split due to the amazing sweet smell.

Reactions: woodfreak666
The inlaws has some trees taken down this week and had the logs saved for me. I got a truck load today. I know it's oak and think locust. Is it honey locust or black locust?
I see ash and honey locust ,great wood for sure.

If it is honey locust it may have some nasty thorns on it. Also Honey locust smells sweet when it is split. One of my favorite woods to split due to the amazing sweet smell.

I have a little less than a cord of honey locust stacked and hopefully ready to burn in a couple years. Never burned it before, does it smell good burning?

Norway Maple, on a quick glance bark can be mistaken for Ash.

I think logs 2 and 3 from the right are Norway Maple.

Last edited:
I see a bunch of free btu's...
;) ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley