Toyota on EVs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Reactions: qwee and woodgeek
I think EVs should be sold with a couple of solar panels - ie all tied together. You buy the car and the technician comes out to your house and sets up your small PV system. And the tech sets up your charging station, too. So, it all comes as one sale.

Chevy all electric by 2035. Toyota (and Honda) needs to get in gear. Toyota wake up, the Prius is going to be obsolete at some point in the future - let go!

I think EVs should be sold with a couple of solar panels - ie all tied together. You buy the car and the technician comes out to your house and sets up your small PV system. And the tech sets up your charging station, too. So, it all comes as one sale.

A study I saw few year ago showed that there was a huge overlap between people with EVs and rooftop solar. So they are one step ahead of you. Makes sense, if you can charge your car when the sun shines, you might make more money depending on how your billing works.

Reactions: qwee

Not giving an opinion on this.

I have said it here before... Toyota has been bringing up the rear on EVs for the last 10 years. They DID get in early with the Prius, but decided to run with NiMH batteries bc Lithium was still not ready for prime time. Their engineers got a real anti-lithium attitude, and thought Nissan was crazy for launching the LEAF (in 2010). They only started updating the Prius battery to lithium in 2015.

Of course, they saw (correctly) that EVs would cut into their enviro early adopter market for the Prius. So they actually ran anti-EV ads with taglines like 'The Prius, you never have to plug it in!'. Not for long, bc it was a PR fiasco for them.

As for 'enough electricity' since the charging can mostly be scheduled, it can be during low demand periods. If everyone plugs in their car when they come home from work at 5 PM (if that is ever a thing again), a problem. But give folks a lower rate to do it at night...and no problem at all.

Reactions: sloeffle and qwee
Hahahahaha.

Electricity consumption has been flat for ~15 years (cite: https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/use-of-electricity.php ). The utilities and generators are likely foaming at the mouth for the opportunity to expand their market. Such disingenuous crap from Toyota.

“The more EVs we build, the worse carbon dioxide gets… When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?”

Haven't seen that with my local power grid... Are they saying Toyota EVs will be so craptastically inefficient they'll get <2mi/kwh?

This is on the level with Trump claiming wind turbines cause cancer!

Wow, they are still doing digs on EVs in this ad from 2019! At 0:45.

Amazing. SMH.