Trailer full - What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Found another local guy that had some trees downed. He had a giant Red Oak but it was too big for me to mess with currently. He had started cutting what I call Cookie Slabs because of the weight but I cannot use that. Most of what I saw was being cut that way and I told him that in order for me to take it I need it to be 16-18 inches. He was getting ready to cut up a smaller tree so I decided to help since I came out there with a trailer and most of what was pictured was gone. I started on one end and he on the other. Not sure what it is, he said walnut but I know it is not that. I was thinking Hickory?

He was still cutting too small and said they were too heavy otherwise and he was partially right. I took all that I cut and a few shorter ones that he cut up and had a trailer full. Not sure what this load would weigh but the trailer did fine.

IMG_3496.jpg IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3494.jpg

Reactions: JamesGuido
I'll go with hickory, I posted pics of hickory I cut and split on another ID post.

Could be hickory. Split some open and post the pics.

+1 for hickory

It is raining today but I will get some split and get a better picture. I am debating going back to get some of the smaller ones. I have had some success selling cherry chunks and could possibly split the small rounds and sell Hickory chunks for smoking wood. Not sure how long hickory takes to season but if I recall, for smoking wood those folks like it around 15-25%. It is some heavy stuff.

It is raining today but I will get some split and get a better picture. I am debating going back to get some of the smaller ones. I have had some success selling cherry chunks and could possibly split the small rounds and sell Hickory chunks for smoking wood. Not sure how long hickory takes to season but if I recall, for smoking wood those folks like it around 15-25%. It is some heavy stuff.
Barbecue places here use it right out of the pickup days after it was cut, they only season the meat.

hickory, imo. Stringy.

Mockernut?

Not sure what specie, but it's Hickory, therefore you must grab it all! 😏

Look out for powder post beetle.. every time I have hickory.. man.. they Tear it up
I see some of their powder sometimes, but I don't think I end up losing too much wood to them. They'll also attack hard Maple, but not a often or as much as Hickory.

I hear ya on the short pieces. I have had people cut everything from cookies to 3 ft chunks and call it firewood. They just don't know, and it's nearly impossible to teach someone who doesn't care. I usually insist on cutting my own wood unless I know they can cut it to the right length. I have scrounged a lot of odd-ball firewood. Tree service wood can be some of the worst. They don't care one way or the other. It's either too long or too short and they won't take the half second to make it a double that you can cut in half.

I see some of their powder sometimes, but I don't think I end up losing too much wood to them. They'll also attack hard Maple, but not a often or as much as Hickory.

I agree I dont think Iv lost a ton of BTUs.. But man.. can they make a mess.. That wood had a ton of dust to it..

Reactions: Woody Stover
I ended up not going back for the short cut hickory, the guy couldnt verify if it was still there and kept indicating that the Large Rounds were still there. My fear was he had a huge oak tree that had 4 inch cookies cut that still probably weighed 100Lbs a piece. It was 30 minutes away and I didnt want to risk it.

I did score some cherry yesterday that BGE cut. Some of the rounds were 12 inches but I sell cherry chunks for smoker wood so that isnt so bad. Would have done the same for Hickory but it seasons longer. I ended up getting a full bed of cherry but most of it was cut around 22 inches or so, which leaves a bunch of odd pieces but I cut it all up today at 16 inches and I will chunk the smaller rounds and sell for smoker wood.

6F9C8F79-1A01-4343-8D31-3174CE1F12DA.jpeg

I bring the splitter to those unmovable big rounds.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I bring the splitter to those unmovable big rounds.
Me too. Hand maul. Split any size rounds, then straight in suv. Ready to stack right out of the CRV.

Me too. Hand maul. Split any size rounds, then straight in suv. Ready to stack right out of the CRV.
I'm old, and I've got a power splitter to fall back on. But I still like to hand-split, and with good technique I minimize the potential body damage.
I don't might the cookie wood...it's gotta dry way faster for one thing, if you're pressed to get dry wood. When stacking I just mix two short ones, end to end or cross-ways, in with full-length splits. I've also put chunks into a bin made of wire fencing and t-posts, but haven't done that lately.