Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hunter29

Apr 2, 2019
michigan
Not much to go on here, and this round does not have many pimples as I call them, maybe once thorns ? This wood is very hard, it doesn't
always split, sometimes it explodes into two pieces..

Here it is very dry, anyone....

IMG_5253.JPG IMG_5254.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be poplar, in which case I’d not even waste the time to split it.

Thanks for the reply, I burned some it was not the best but not bad either. Why is poplar bad..

Not sure it is poplar, but if it is, poplar tends to vaporize quickly. Not worth much, in terms of actual heating.

This burned for quite some time, not fast at all, I did need to add more to keep the fire going good, not great but not bad, not much for coals thou. not like my honey locust..

This burned for quite some time, not fast at all, I did need to add more to keep the fire going good, not great but not bad, not much for coals thou. not like my honey locust..
Might be elm, then. Was the flame more blue/green than other woods? Was it super-stringy when split?

I’d guess that it’s elm.

It looks like locust.

On second viewing, the growth rings are too large for locust. I don't know.