uninsulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Well, this old man got screwed again. Just found out that my liner was NOT insulated at all. During some repairs on my chimney the sweep discovered that my liner had NO insulation at all. I have a e-mail and invoice from the installer stating that it was a Lifetime Fully Insulated Stainless Steel Liner. I even informed my insurance company and the V.A. for my loan application, that this is what I had.

Going to contact the installer, if he is still in business, and see what he has to say. Meanwhile, what are my problems using the liner the way it is? Other than loss of heat, is it dangerous ? This will be my fourth year using this stove as it is set up now. So I assume that it is not dangerous.

Other than removing the liner and re-installing what options do I have? Could I spend all day on the roof , cutting and throwing Rockwool down the chimney?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice.

Rgds

You sure it's not the pre-insulated liner that has an additional liner around the insulation to protect it?

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Trying to send some pictures. Not sure if this is going to work

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0470 (1).jpg
    IMG_0470 (1).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 244
You’re correct you didn’t get what you paid for! How difficult will this liner be to pull out and install insulation wrap? Hope you find this installer.

The danger would be if you had a chimney fire with uninsulated liner more heat would transfer to nearby combustible. While it’s worth looking into, I don’t suspect you have a reason to stop burning or put Rockwool around liner just based on no insulation.
That said, if it turns out you were lied to by installer, I’d be concerned they bs’d you with other necessities like making sure to properly clean masonry chimney before putting liner in. The pros on this forum can help you further with what to look for in dealing with your situation. If it’s not insulated, I’d be thinking about my budget for determining when I could have reinstalled with proper insulation.

Last edited:
There isn't room for an insulated liner there. DuraLiner pre-insulated might pass. It is 6 5/8" OD.

In that first photo it looks like there some loose insulation, maybe there was a miscommunication?

Thanks everybody for the help. Since this is installed in the interior of my house. i guess I can check into selling it and buying something else that uses a thinner liner, other than this 8 inch on this Buck. Any good recommendations on a insert that would heat a 1850 sg ft, open floor plan house.?

Regarding that little bit of insulation. that was used to help support the concrete that they used to hold the liner in place. It developed a hole in it, which required me to have it removed and a proper s,s. plate instaled. That is how this whole mess was discovered.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• chimney cap 2.jpg
    chimney cap 2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: Mrpelletburner
I would be severely ticked.

Looks like in order to do insulated properly, the clay would need busted out. I have a feeling they realized that on installing, and rather than stopping for further discussion, they just installed what they did and got out.

Reactions: crater22
See that hose clamp a couple feet down? Looks like they had to splice in another piece.

Lots of stoves are rated to heat 1850 sf that use a 6” flue. I would say most.

Another problem I see is that concrete they poured forms a bowl, and will fill with water, and eventually leak. Either more needs to be added to form a crown, or you need a properly sized storm collar.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Another problem I see is that concrete they poured forms a bowl, and will fill with water, and eventually leak. Either more needs to be added to form a crown, or you need a properly sized storm collar.
Quoted from the OP

"concrete that they used to hold the liner in place. It developed a hole in it, which required me to have it removed and a proper s,s. plate instaled. That is how this whole mess was discovered."

Quoted from the OP

"concrete that they used to hold the liner in place. It developed a hole in it, which required me to have it removed and a proper s,s. plate instaled. That is how this whole mess was discovered."

I didn't figure it would take long to develop a hole.

You sure it's not the pre-insulated liner that has an additional liner around the insulation to protect it?

You know, I never thought of that.
with the additional piece that they used to extend the liner, it is impossible to tell. I am still trying to locate this guy.

Thanks for that idea.

OP...

I understand that you paid for an insulated SS liner install and just ended up with the liner.

But without the liner insulated, how does your stove draft? Does the liner need to be insulated?

OP...

I understand that you paid for an insulated SS liner install and just ended up with the liner.

But without the liner insulated, how does your stove draft? Does the liner need to be insulated?
To meet code and be a safe install yes almost certainly. Very few chimneys have the required clearances so insulation is almost always required

Reactions: Highbeam
There isn't room for an insulated liner there. DuraLiner pre-insulated might pass. It is 6 5/8" OD.

Here is a crazy idea that I have. Keep in mind that I have a hard time trying to even light a fire, so I know not of which I speak. The current company that I am using, claimed to have a product that they spray down the chimney and it expands into insulation. Kind of like the stuff you use to fill in drafts around the house. Would it be possible, or even a good idea, to stuff Rockwool down along the liner as far as possible, to form kind of a shelf to support the foam until it hardness. Guess kind of like what they did with the cement that was orginally used to support the liner at the top. Again, I admit to being a dummy and that is why I come to this forum. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

Here is a crazy idea that I have. Keep in mind that I have a hard time trying to even light a fire, so I know not of which I speak. The current company that I am using, claimed to have a product that they spray down the chimney and it expands into insulation. Kind of like the stuff you use to fill in drafts around the house. Would it be possible, or even a good idea, to stuff Rockwool down along the liner as far as possible, to form kind of a shelf to support the foam until it hardness. Guess kind of like what they did with the cement that was orginally used to support the liner at the top. Again, I admit to being a dummy and that is why I come to this forum. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again.
Cerfractory foam is not designed or listed for this application. There is just not enough room there to fit the required amount of insulation. The clay tiles need removed.

Thanks again.
There are systems like Aherns that use a process to create a cast-in-place liner, but it is not foam based. They would not use your existing liner. This system is not inexpensive. One could also pour in place a cement/vermiculite mix, but the problem is that the liner needs to be centered in order to ensure that the liner is fully and equally surrounded by the insulating cement and not touching the chimney. Hard to do without spacers on the liner.

There are systems like Aherns that use a process to create a cast-in-place liner, but it is not foam based. They would not use your existing liner. This system is not inexpensive. One could also pour in place a cement/vermiculite mix, but the problem is that the liner needs to be centered in order to ensure that the liner is fully and equally surrounded by the insulating cement and not touching the chimney. Hard to do without spacers on the liner.
There is also not enough room for the required 1" of pour in insulation required

There is also not enough room for the required 1" of pour in insulation required

This is an odd 8” liner for an insert. One of the extremely rare inserts that use 8”. Would a 6” insulated liner fit? Would of course require switching to a 6” stove but with just 1850 sf, there are lots of options.

Ahh I just assumed that was a 6" in an 8x8. If that's an 8" it has to be in a 12x12 so there is room. Good catch highbeam