Upcoming Winter Forecast

timfromohio Posted By timfromohio, Aug 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM

1. timfromohio

timfromohio
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2007
    Most sources I look at indicate average or above average temps for this upcoming winter. What do unofficial forecasts (like band thickness on woolybears and the like) indicate? I moved down to SW Ohio from NE Ohio in 2014 and haven't really had a good winter since!

What say ye?

2. vinny11950

vinny11950
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 17, 2010
    Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    Haven't seen anything yet for winter, but they say hurricane season will be bad. Sure seems like the jetstream gets stuck in the same patterns for long periods of time. Here in NY, the end of July and August, so far, has been cooler than normal (80 degree highs, mid 60s at night). But the northwest is getting hammered with heat.

Didn't get too much snow last year, so I think this winter we will get much more. Got to buy wood pellets still and I am not sure how much to get.

3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Colder than normal Winter? Warmer than normal Winter?
    More snow than normal Winter? Less snow than normal Winter?

For me . . . it doesn't matter.

I have plenty of wood regardless of what Mother Nature throws my way.

Only negative is less snow than normal often means less snowmobiling.

That said, based on the recent past and often cyclical nature of weather I suspect this Winter will be an average one for us here in Maine which means snow and cold . . . as it does pretty much every Winter.

4. timfromohio

timfromohio
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2007
    We have relatives in Maine. They describe the weather as "3 months of winter and 9 months of bad snowmobiling"

5. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not that creative here for Syracuse. I just say 3 months of summer and the rest sucks!

Whitepine2 likes this.
  6. HisTreeNut

HisTreeNut
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Burnsville, NC
    When I lived in WNY, the joke was there are 4 seasons for the roadways...Construction, More Construction , Still More Construction, & Winter.
    Last visit we made, that still seems to be true.

vinny11950 likes this.
  7. timfromohio

timfromohio
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2007
    We lived in NEOhio for about a decade and it was the same. I think that the plow guys were either the same as the road crews or they had a deal going b/c the plows would destroy the roads making sure the road repair guys had plenty to do.

8. RobbieB

RobbieB
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Central CA
    It's 90 degrees outside with only a half hour or so before sunset. Bring on the cold. Hehe, it never gets cold here just cooler.

I'm not worried, I have an unlimited supply of cheap natural gas.

But I also have this new cute little stove and maybe around Thanksgiving...

vinny11950 likes this.
  9. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    In Texas we used to describe the 4 seasons as almost summer, summer, still summer, and hunting season.

HisTreeNut likes this.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Last year and the year before it was pretty much 11 months of bad snowmobiling . . . I suspect this winter will be more of a return to normal if the pattern holds that we saw a few years back (i.e. one winter with little to no snow, one winter with low snow and it came late to a normal winter.)

11. georgepds

georgepds
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2012
    I used to have occasional work in Syracuse. My wake up prayer there was "O Lord save and protect me, I'm in Syracuse again"

12. timfromohio

timfromohio
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2007
    Wasn't solarandwood from Syracuse or was it Rochester? He used to post quite a bit and had a great garden. I remember, I had serious dirt envy.

13. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2012
    Loc:
    se mass
    J. Bastardi, weatherbell. their take, https://www.weatherbell.com/prelim-winter-2017-18

vinny11950 likes this.
  14. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I found his analysis and conclusion a confusing jumble.
    "The Verdict
    The implication here is that winter will be colder than the last two winters, but I don't what to go to the extremes of the two winters before that."

Colder where? Some places will be warmer than others. Is he talking about global average or some specific area?

15. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2012
    Loc:
    se mass
    well leave it to you to pick up on obvious mistype. if you find the rest of it confusing and can't see what and where he is forecasting, just delete it. didn't post it because I thought it was a global forecast. maybe I'm the one that is confused?

16. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Our region is predicted to be warmer than average as is the Southwest. That's why I asked. More concerning is how much warmer the arctic is forecast to be.

17. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2012
    Loc:
    se mass
    here is where it's been this year as of yesterday, cooler than norm for last 120 odd days. from what I've read , most say warmer than norm. the objective folks do point out that is still cold. please note that is only for 80* and north. meanT_2017.png

18. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2012
    Loc:
    se mass
    Beyond the NP, Greenland has had another good summer for it's ice. this is the real canary in the Arctic! greenland_daily_melt_plot_tmb.png

19. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    The leaves & the acorns are starting to fall.

I ordered more firewood to season for next year, and have my equipment tune up guy coming in 2 weeks to get the splitter ready, so I can tackle the "needs to be split" pile..... think I'm going to need it :mad:

Doug MacIVER likes this.
  20. RobbieB

RobbieB
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Central CA
    It's 90 degrees outside, bring on the winter!