GMadd Posted By GMadd, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:53 PM

1. GMadd

GMadd
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Highland, NY
    If you look at this photo it looks like there is creosote build up on the part of the auger on the back chamber side next to the auger motor. Does this imply that the auger bearing is leaking smoke? Or does it imply something else? Or is it nothing? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    The auger bearings are sealed and part of the auger. The best design and durability I have seen in a pellet stove. :) The creasote there does not indicate anything but what I do is clean it all up with a wire wheel on your drill driver and you can also spray the auger with dry moly for extra lubrication. After it is clean just spin the bearing and make sure it spins smoothly with not hiccups or glitches. If it is not smooth spinning then replace the auger. They really do not cost that much for their superior high quality! Let us know.
    Also Harman states it is not necessary to add any high temp silicone when re-installing your Auger. :)
    See pics of one of my Harman Augers here
    https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/would-you-believe-this-harman-auger-has-not-been-cleaned-in-over-10-years-see-pics.168620/
    Also check for any Harman Auger Pox! See pics
    https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/holy-harman-auger-pox-batman.109241/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GMadd

GMadd
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Highland, NY
    After 5 years of replacing that little white plastic auger bearing every season on My Magnum Baby, hearing that the Harman auger bearing design is the best makes me pretty darn happy! I'd like everyone to take a moment of silence to observe the mouse who gave it's life so I can get this P61 for such an amazing price.

Thanks for all this info! I going to clean up the auger and check for any Pox. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don2222 and DAKSY like this.
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Harman pellet stoves. Built like a tank & run like a Cadillac.

GMadd likes this.
  5. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    I probably would have cleaned the mice out, wire brushed what ever I could get at without disassembly and fired the sucker up. It might have run another 20 years.

GMadd and Don2222 like this.
  6. GMadd

GMadd
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Highland, NY
    So I thought I remembered everything but can you guys help me with the orientation of this piece under the auger motor. Not sure what it is but it has a wheel and the set screw for the auger. Is it put on properly? It must spin with the auger and move the pusher arm? Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Looks like you've got it in there correctly.
    Here's mine:

Attached Files:

GMadd likes this.