• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robweinrich

Oct 2, 2019
Coatesville PA
Hello. I’m new to the pellet world. Locally here in PA I found someone selling a USSC 6309 made in 2006. He bought it, said he cleaned it, went over it and ran it for a day with no problems.
This was going to go in my basement. I have a few questions. Is this a good pellet stove to acquire, how efficient do you think it could be with assisting with heating the house (1465 sqft) running it all the time?

he’s selling it for $500, is that a good deal.

any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

0060E607-F656-41FB-A2BD-ADE6CC619048.png AABF73BF-1641-4866-880B-463C5B9407DA.png 7733D9FC-0500-4920-9A27-4486A1B4BD81.png CCB4DC22-B103-4179-9278-0E241CCED52A.png 9181E5B0-27C7-42C3-A1A9-E99A6EC7F457.png 8C3E4AC3-A4C7-476A-B46E-68AAD35814A8.png 54A95108-9E75-405B-8692-E7E7FD3BD628.png 9021D382-4EA0-4C38-85BD-97764BA908E3.png

I am not familiar with that specific model, but I have a USSC 6500 that I use to heat my home. I purchased the property about 2 years ago with the stove already installed, but not functioning properly. I replaced the needed parts and it has run ever since. The USSC models with the control panel you have allows you to make adjustments on feed rates, exhaust fan rates etc etc. It took me a little while to get those dialed in, but it was not difficult. I would recommend looking in the USSC Troubleshooting thread at the top of the forum. They have troubleshooting manuals available to download. Even if your exact one isn't listed, a model close to it should be very similar.

As far as if it is a good deal. I would google and see what the price was new and go from there.

That's a USSC 6039HF, the HF meaning hearth focus. It has the 4 button control board, correct? I don't believe any models previous to the HF had the 4 button control board.

If so you have the same stove I've been running 14 or 15 years. It's been good to me and I know SidecarFlip is around here and has one at least as long or longer than myself.

I see you are in PA so probably would just run pellets. But if you can find corn to either mix in or run 100% at a good price this stove will burn it. Cherry pits, dog doo, what ever you can get to fit down the auger, as long as it's dry, LOL.

If you follow the link in my signature line you will see a decent photo of areas to clean. Also at the top of this forum are sticky notes and there is a great section for USSC stoves including this one.

As far as the price goes that would depend on how well it was maintained. They are not maintenance free, at least if you want them to run good. If you think it has been taken care of I would imagine that that price would be a little high, but get on line and see what's available in your area. Even if you never intend to burn corn that control board will allow you to dial the stove to burn any pellet efficiently , most stoves do not allow you to do that to any where near the 6039 board.

ETA: If you haven't looked at the stove yet, take a look at the cleaning photo's I referenced earlier. You will see how to inspect the internal parts of the stove where ash builds up. If you pull those cleanout slides that are vertical on the back wall you will be able to see if it is clean back there or jammed full of ash. If full of ash I would suspect you would have a major cleaning to assure the stove will heat properly. There are a few nooks and cranies in those stoves that have to be cleaned regularly.

Last edited:
That's a USSC 6039HF, the HF meaning hearth focus. It has the 4 button control board, correct? I don't believe any models previous to the HF had the 4 button control board.

If so you have the same stove I've been running 14 or 15 years. It's been good to me and I know SidecarFlip is around here and has one at least as long or longer than myself.

I see you are in PA so probably would just run pellets. But if you can find corn to either mix in or run 100% at a good price this stove will burn it. Cherry pits, dog doo, what ever you can get to fit down the auger, as long as it's dry, LOL.

If you follow the link in my signature line you will see a decent photo of areas to clean. Also at the top of this forum are sticky notes and there is a great section for USSC stoves including this one.

As far as the price goes that would depend on how well it was maintained. They are not maintenance free, at least if you want them to run good. If you think it has been taken care of I would imagine that that price would be a little high, but get on line and see what's available in your area. Even if you never intend to burn corn that control board will allow you to dial the stove to burn any pellet efficiently , most stoves do not allow you to do that to any where near the 6039 board.

ETA: If you haven't looked at the stove yet, take a look at the cleaning photo's I referenced earlier. You will see how to inspect the internal parts of the stove where ash builds up. If you pull those cleanout slides that are vertical on the back wall you will be able to see if it is clean back there or jammed full of ash. If full of ash I would suspect you would have a major cleaning to assure the stove will heat properly. There are a few nooks and cranies in those stoves that have to be cleaned regularly.
Thanks for the info!

I am not familiar with that specific model, but I have a USSC 6500 that I use to heat my home. I purchased the property about 2 years ago with the stove already installed, but not functioning properly. I replaced the needed parts and it has run ever since. The USSC models with the control panel you have allows you to make adjustments on feed rates, exhaust fan rates etc etc. It took me a little while to get those dialed in, but it was not difficult. I would recommend looking in the USSC Troubleshooting thread at the top of the forum. They have troubleshooting manuals available to download. Even if your exact one isn't listed, a model close to it should be very similar.

As far as if it is a good deal. I would google and see what the price was new and go from there.
Thank you

What Pete says... It sold new for about 1200 bucks, way back when. Only thing I don't like about the 'Queen Anne' model you are looking at is the limited ash pan capacity. The pedestal Hearth Focus stoves have a much larger ash pan (what I have). Good, simple unit but the 4 button board is very expensive to replace and it requires a good surge protector always and it must be kept clean and ash free to operate correctly.

For 500 bucks, if it operates correctly, you stole it. They are at least 800 around here in used ( and abused) condition.

The board is very expensive and hard to get. It must be clean inside and the venting must be kept clean as well.

The unit runs best with an outside air kit (OAK or FAK). Selkirk as well as USSC sells the combustion air kits.

Last edited:

Thoughts on running a pellet stove made for 2500sqft in the basement of a 1500 sqft room. I really have no where else to put it. Do you think the heat would radiate upstairs enough?

What Pete says... It sold new for about 1200 bucks, way back when. Only thing I don't like about the 'Queen Anne' model you are looking at is the limited ash pan capacity. The pedestal Hearth Focus stoves have a much larger ash pan (what I have). Good, simple unit but the 4 button board is very expensive to replace and it requires a good surge protector always and it must be kept clean and ash free to operate correctly.

For 500 bucks, if it operates correctly, you stole it. They are at least 800 around here in used ( and abused) condition.

The board is very expensive and hard to get. It must be clean inside and the venting must be kept clean as well.

The unit runs best with an outside air kit (OAK or FAK). Selkirk as well as USSC sells the combustion air kits.
Thoughts on running a pellet stove made for 2500sqft in the basement of a 1500 sqft room. I really have no where else to put it. Do you think the heat would radiate upstairs enough?

If I'm understanding you, you want to put the stove in the basement and are hoping it will heat the level above?
If that is the case I would say no in 90% of the houses. Then again is the basement insulated? If not concrete sucks heat out. Your basement might be nice and toasty, little warm air rising though because it's going out the basement walls.
Other houses with open ground level to basement staircase sometimes will do enough to make it worth it.

finished or unfinished basement? insulated?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
No matter what it is, you'll still need some added 'ooomph' using added fans to move the heat upstairs but as said previously, don't expect the upper floor to be toasty. If you do, you'll be disappointed.

The other issue is, a basement below grade install presents some unique issues as far as fly ash cleanout of the venting because your cleanout Tee will be inside, not outside and an inside cleanout Tee is ALWAYS a very messy proposition.