VC Dauntless, problems with smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vernorz

Aug 26, 2021
Massachusetts
I didn’t get the cat “performance package “ yet. I will end up getting it at some point, but it’s been pretty efficient so far without it. I had a fire last night…first overnight burn with it and I only had it half filled and woke up with plenty of hot coals to start up again about 7 hours later. The probe will go on the left hand side straight down below the damper handle. I believe it comes with a clip to hold it in place. I emailed VC and they sent me a good diagram that I will attach…it looks pretty easy to install…

View attachment 284294
Thank you. That's very helpful information. I've never had a stove with a cat before so it will be a learning curve. But it's nice to know it runs pretty well without it. At what temperature (stovetop or flue?) are you closing the bypass and how much/quickly are you closing the air down once it's closed?

Jmorg

Feb 26, 2021
Virginia
Thank you. That's very helpful information. I've never had a stove with a cat before so it will be a learning curve. But it's nice to know it runs pretty well without it. At what temperature (stovetop or flue?) are you closing the bypass and how much/quickly are you closing the air down once it's closed?
No problem! Yes it’s a learning curve for me as well…I usually close the bypass at 500 degrees and I have a stovetop thermometer. Depending on how cold it is and it hasn’t been really cold in Richmond VA yet…so I usually dial back the air to keep it around 450-500 right away. I leave the front door cracked though for about 15-20 minutes though when I first start it to get it going quickly.