VC Defiant Flexburn - time to clean the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jackam

Mar 30, 2022
Michigan
I am new to the VC game. My Flexburn has a 6" stovepipe running straight up.
I plan to jump on the roof in the next couple of days and run a brush down the pipe.
My questions:
Where does all the creosote go?
Will it plug the combustion chamber?
Will it be easy to remove via the front doors?
I have looked through tha manual a few times, but I just don't see any specifics.

Thanks for your input!

Creosote will accumulate when the flue gases cool down enough to permit condensation in the pipe. This could be right off the stove at a single-wall stovepipe elbow or not at all until the top, coldest part of the chimney. It depends on the exit temperature of the gases and the heat loss of the flue system.

What i do is close the damper and remove the access plate and cat. I take foil and line the bottom of the box where the cat fits in for easier cleaning.. brush the pipe top down. remove the foil ( this makes less clean up). I dont have an ash vacuum .. so this is why i set foil in the bottom.. vacuum and put back together.. Definitely inspect the top for glazing.. Brush real well..