VC Encore too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not sure which Jotul stove is the problematic one. Apparently, it has issues with the cat failing prematurely. Might not be the 500
Yes, There were a couple reports here about the 500 and cat warpage but I’ve heard many more good reviews on the stove. The cat is also under warranty for 20 years I believe.

Reactions: Diabel
The Encore has a great turn down, even loaded fully after the first hour I can get mine down to around 300-350F. To me it sounds like it would be a good size for the space you have. Just run it mostly open until the space warms up, then turn it down.
Edit: I am talking about the 2040-CAT-C.
Thanks, it is good to hear some positive feedback on the 2040-cat-c

Thanks, it is good to hear some positive feedback on the 2040-cat-c
Oh it's a lovely stove. It is elegant, and throws wonderful heat that can be gentle or powerful depending on how you run it. I have no complaints on the day to day use of the stove.
I can see how the complexity of the mechanism could lead to difficult maintenance down the road. I know the refractory box will not last forever, and replacing it looks like a big job. But I am not there yet, it is my 3rd winter with this stove and so far it is performing as well as I could expect. :)

A combination of turning the air down and using really big wood. Yes that is stovetop temp
Thanks so much. You are the only person I have found with the newer 2040-cat-c I am likely going to buy so your experience is very helpful. I should have thought of the larger wood. Do you find that running it this way (air down, large wood) that you are able to still have hot coals in the morning (ie easy to get going again ... I assume I would have to open damper, rake coals, add kindling, open air and wait for the cat probe to get back into the proper range)??

Thanks so much. You are the only person I have found with the newer 2040-cat-c I am likely going to buy so your experience is very helpful. I should have thought of the larger wood. Do you find that running it this way (air down, large wood) that you are able to still have hot coals in the morning (ie easy to get going again ... I assume I would have to open damper, rake coals, add kindling, open air and wait for the cat probe to get back into the proper range)??
Yeah, I will still have plenty of coals after 12+ hours typically. In the morning I'm usually in a rush so I use some kindling, but I can also relight without any kindling it just takes a bit longer. I use a flue probe to judge when to shut the bypass after each reload. usually I aim to get up to 600-700F flue temp and then engage the catalyst and it has no trouble lighting off. Then I just turn the air down in small increments every ~10 min until I reach the desired heat output, and leave it.

Hey Diabel, any ideas where to get an auber t100 (or t200 ... not sure the difference) here in Ottawa? Thanks!
Online, from their us website. The price is very reasonable. It is a must have meter for the vc in my opinion.

Online, from their us website. The price is very reasonable. It is a must have meter for the vc in my opinion.
For most stoves! I rarely pay attention to the stove top temp.

Im new at wood burning and got a vc encore. Beautiful stove and fits well with out house. I have had nothing but problems with it. It came from the factory with a pinched air control cable. It was over fired twice before I realized what was going on. The stove currently may still have some problems with it but it is finicky. Assuming if it worked right with the cat it needs a good coal/ember bed to run right with the cat. Once that's is established the. It can be a touch easier to run. Mines not. But a side note it can be ran without the cat. It just has a max btu of 30,000. Also it will have shorter burn times. Hope this helps.