VC Intrepid bypass catalyst -- details?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kord

Jul 7, 2015
Urbana, IL
Wondering about temporary reconfiguring inside of VC Intrepid to bypass the catalytic system -- inspired by such a story on the forum. I believe I remember Nyquil Junkie doing this, but NJ never posted the details or pics -- it sounded potentially simple, though. If you are out there NJ, or anybody else with advice on this... I'm not against the catalytic system (I loved it when it worked) but before spending $600 plus to replace all the necessary insides of the stove, I'm wondering if I can test my rebuild cement job (still in process) this winter before biting the bullet, by using the stove as it was designed before they added the catalytic element.

Isn't there a damper to bypass the catalyst? The catalyst produces some heat when it's running, so you may find you will get less heat output.

I never use my cat on my vc ditch west. I leave the built in bypass open.

Why? That's quite inefficient.

Why? That's quite inefficient.
You'd be surprised. It burns for 8 straight. Had the downstairs at 78+ all day. I just turn the intake down all the way when the temp starts to rise on the stove. When I get a new cat for it I'll start closing the bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.