VC Winterwarm large: well used, worth anything?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroGeek

Mar 22, 2014
Flatland, Mass
Hi All,

First time poster, long time lurker.

We have run the course with our VC Winterwarm (large). After 10+ years and 50+ cords we're putting it out to pasture. Just bought a Hearthstone Heritage and looking forward to getting it installed on the hearth rather than in the firebox (and looking forward to no fan!). Was a bit torn between the Heritage and the Jotul F400 but between the Jotul being "foreign born", the Jotul dealer being less than enthusiastic and me being from Vermont we went with Hearthstone. From posts on this forum I expect we'll be happy (BTW its got the new latch that I think will not erode the casting to razor edge ... somebody mentioned that problem; and I plan to bore out the hinge pins and put in bronze bushings).

Anyhow, what to do with the Winterwarm? To be honest, I never was very happy with it. Poor casting fits. Poor quality castings (crumble/warp). Poor fitting gaskets. Cat does not last even two seasons. I've completely rebuilt it twice with considerable expense in spare parts. I notice that VC does not make it anymore... hmmm. So, I don't really wish it on anybody but it must be worth something. My friend has one and I'd give it to him for spare parts (in exchange for using his boat ;)) but his is tan and mine black so only the internal parts would be useful for him.

Suggestions? I've never sold a used woodstove and do not know the proper "held harmless" verbiage but I think this would really need some. Sell "as is" for sure. I know that the price should be "what the market can bear" but any starting point suggestions?

Thanks.

I think if you provide the as-is disclaimer and don't promote it as being the best heater you can buy...you'll be all right. Chances are that someone will buy it who knows 100% what it is - maybe even for parts!

It's big and a PITA to take apart and move, so if someone who knew what they were doing bought it you'd be ahead of the game....in getting it moved, etc.

Price? I'd say about $400 would be a good deal for someone...even for parts, let alone someone handy who knew what they were getting into.

Craigslist post

Is the Cat in there new? 400OBO
Is the Cat shot? 300OBO

Thanks for the guidance. The cat is shot but surprisingly it does "afterburn" back in the firebox still so I guess it might be doing something. Can only see one half of the honeycomb top with the throat plates out. I have some random spare parts that I'll include so maybe I'll start between 300 and 400. Much lower than that and I'll give it to my friend and take the boat credits! It sure looks pretty... it is a nice design aesthetically but VC just didn't get the robustness quite right on this model. We have a VC Resolute in the family cabin and have been real happy with that so I known they do have good models. Now to get the boys to help move the Winterwarm to the screened in porch (aka woodshed) and liquidate it prior outdoor entertainment season.

FWIW, Hearthstone is also "foreign born", from Spain.

FWIW, Hearthstone is also "foreign born", from Spain.

I thought Morrisville, VT? Maybe just assembled there? Google Earth'ing the address shows a pretty substantial factory looking building. My comment on Jotul was more tongue-in-cheek... I know they make very good stoves.

The soapstone is imported. And the castings are from Spain I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.