Venting Wood Stove Into Back of Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBurghBees

Mar 20, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All! New to the Forum. We are in the midst of a sun room remodel. This space is an insulated enclosed porch, adjacent to our living room. The existing wood-burning fireplace in the living room will require a new liner (at best) and/or insert to become functional again. We haven't yet decided on gas or wood for that fireplace/insert. The bigger part of this project is what to do on the rear face of the chimney in the sun room. Ultimately, I would like to install a small wood stove to heat that space.

The chimney houses 3 flues. The center is for the living room fireplace. The flues on either side go down into the basement and no longer service anything in the home. What are my prospects with regard to lining & venting a wood stove into one of the vacant flues via the back face of the chimney? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Further, if we go the route of a vented gas log set, or a full insert (gas or wood) in the living room fireplace, what are the chances I can divert its vent via a flexible liner to one of the "side" flues in order to vent the wood stove in the sun room into the center flue (since its stove pipe will be partially to fully visible depending on how high we need to go before the 90-degree elbow into the chimney)? Ultimately, I'd like to avoid running the stove pipe all the way up the wall in front of the chimney and through the roof. I realize that would be the simplest and cheapest way to go.

A double-sided, sealed wood-burning fireplace insert was my original plan. However, we were unable to find a vendor in the US that makes anything small enough to fit the existing firebox and not cost an arm & a leg. Open to suggestions on that front as well.

Thanks!

Yes you can absolutely cut into one of the other flies line it an vent a stove through it. Not sure about using the fireplace flue or why that would be desired

Yes you can absolutely cut into one of the other flies line it an vent a stove through it. Not sure about using the fireplace flue or why that would be desired
Thanks for the prompt reply! The thought with venting the stove into the fireplace flue was so that the visible stove pipe is "centered" on the rear face of the chimney. If the fireplace vent could be angled via a flexible liner into one of the side flues, that would theoretically free up the center flue.