Vermont Castings Blowtorch Sound on Reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Swtorguy

Nov 17, 2021
US
I have the dauntless. It does sound like a blowtorch at times. If you reach behind it, and put your hand over the air intake at the bottom, the noise stops. So it’s not a chimney fire or overly active catalytic burner, it’s just a noisy intake. It does settle down once that internal dual metal door starts working as advertised. Not a fan of the dauntless, but it’s a normal sound. You’ll hear it, to some degree, as the adjustment door opens and closes too.

Halliewest

Feb 15, 2022
Ct
I have the dauntless. It does sound like a blowtorch at times. If you reach behind it, and put your hand over the air intake at the bottom, the noise stops. So it’s not a chimney fire or overly active catalytic burner, it’s just a noisy intake. It does settle down once that internal dual metal door starts working as advertised. Not a fan of the dauntless, but it’s a normal sound. You’ll hear it, to some degree, as the adjustment door opens and closes too.
Awesome! Thank you. I would’ve never though to cover that to check. Great info.

Woodlifer

Feb 5, 2022
Millinocket, Me
If anyone has a Vermont Castings newer stove, I would love to get an educated answer.
🔥

I bought a Vermont Castings Dauntless, and so far, it’s been anything but. The one remaining problem I’m having, which no one seems to be able to answer, is that right after reload, no matter the temp, as soon as I close the bypass, it sounds very much like a blow torch.

I am trying to figure out why this happens. Is it gases building in the firebox, is it the catalytic combustor? Which if so, would seem odd that would kick in at a low temp, (low temp only because I tested it to see if it would happen at lower temperature.)

The reason I’m struggling with this is…in the manual, it says if it sounds like a blowtorch, it’s over firing and can cause loss of life. Seriously? Yet, Vermont Castings customer support is nonexistent, and anyone I’ve spoke to in the industry says, ‘I’m sure it’s fine’, without having a clue. I really need an answer so I can burn without worrying I’m doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m really hopeful someone will have a solid answer.
Hi. We have the Dauntless and have been dealing with same issues. Taked to dealer several times which was no help. We have an outdoor air intake pipe near back of stove because our house is so tight. This morning I covered part of the air-intake on the stove and it helped a little. We bought this stove to load up and go to bed. So far that has not happened because it makes us so nervous. Very frustrating.

Halliewest

Feb 15, 2022
Ct
Hi. We have the Dauntless and have been dealing with same issues. Taked to dealer several times which was no help. We have an outdoor air intake pipe near back of stove because our house is so tight. This morning I covered part of the air-intake on the stove and it helped a little. We bought this stove to load up and go to bed. So far that has not happened because it makes us so nervous. Very frustrating.
There are plenty of good answers in this thread. I feel your pain, it is definitely nerve-racking, and makes it impossible to use the stove in a normal way.

jackam

Mar 30, 2022
Michigan
I have a defiant Flexburn and take GREAT comfort that Halliewest is experiencing that chimney fire sounding WHOOSH.
Mine scares me to death, even though I now know that the sound is "a thing," I am still never 100% comfortable when I lay my head on a pillow.
The first time I heard it, I called the fireplace shop and they told me that I'm probably having a chimney fire. They are VC dealers and even they didn't know about the blowtorch afterburn woosh noise!
Thanks to all that replied, and thanks Halliewest for singing out. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

Halliewest

Feb 15, 2022
Ct
I have a defiant Flexburn and take GREAT comfort that Halliewest is experiencing that chimney fire sounding WHOOSH.
Mine scares me to death, even though I now know that the sound is "a thing," I am still never 100% comfortable when I lay my head on a pillow.
The first time I heard it, I called the fireplace shop and they told me that I'm probably having a chimney fire. They are VC dealers and even they didn't know about the blowtorch afterburn woosh noise!
Thanks to all that replied, and thanks Halliewest for singing out. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D
Let me assure you, I still feel the same also. I wonder if the fear of that sound will ever go away, but I hope after all these responses, eventually I’ll have some peace with it. 😊 Cheers to anxiety free burning.

WillVan

Apr 4, 2022
Brunswick, Maine
A lot of us use he Auber AT100 with a high temp thermocouple. Very practical but it's got a bit of what my wife calls a "90s alarm clock" vibe to it.
Great info here, thanks contributors!! Yes, this roar can be disconcerting, and I still can't make sense of it. Current manual says it's a problem, but with the OLDER catalytic stoves this was a GOOD sign that the gases were being burned by the catalytic converter. So when I notice a slight burner noise when closing the damper, regard that as a good burn.

However, the occasional 'blow-torch' noises are still concerning, especially if they go on for more than a few minutes. It's burning of gases given off in certain stage of woodburning, right? If we think that this condition is okay as long as it is moderate, how do we control that? We think that some can be resolved simply by filling the stove less--trying for a perfect burn on a maximum load of wood will always be more challenging.
--with our previous VC stoves, we simply ran it "by the numbers"--stovetop thermometer up to about 500 degrees, then closed the damper. Left the thermostat wide open for a few minutes, then adjusted down, but no less than midway. The older catalytic Intrepids claimed that the cat would work fine over 350 degrees, but we usually got the temp up closer to 500 before engaging the cat. With the new Intrepid with cat, we find we need to get the stovetop temp up to 550 to 600 first--but some of this is because of the insufficient draft problems we are experiencing. And the dilemma here is that when the stovetop thermometer is there, the thermometer probe for the cat is still not up to the "engagement temp". So often when first firing, we keep the air control turned down to provide more time for the heat in firebox to transfer to the cat area.
--I'd like to know more about adding a 3rd thermometer. I use one on the center rear of top griddle and have the one with probe going inside that is part of the catalyst kit. Exactly where would another one be useful? Have another magnetic thermometer which could go on the flue pipe where it exits the exhaust collar. Good place? Another probe somewhere?
--and specifically, how do we interpret or compare the thermometer readings from a 3rd thermometer?

NewGuy132

Jan 22, 2021
Central MA
Here is when I notice the sound and what happens on my Intrepid Flexburn. I notice the sound when I close the damper and I have a log in front of where the smoke/gasses head to the cat. If I leave the wood there my cat will be reading 1400+ while stove top might only be reading 400 or so. Once the damper is closed basically it is sucking the flame up and out of the exhaust. I do not put any wood in front of where it exhausts to the cat. A few times this past burning season a log has fallen down or my wife put one there and the blowtorch sound was very audible. I'd check CAT temps and they nearly at the too hot mark and the stovepipe would be pinging even after burning for hours. Personally I don't see ever filling this stove up to the brim and just leaving it. I don't think that I could trust it to not run away. Typically I run 3-4 splits in mine and that's it. One left to right up near the glass, and 2 front to back on the outer corners of the stove. This gives me horrible burn times, but I feel like I can at least control the stove a little better this way.

Stovenewbie12

Apr 2, 2022
Nebraska
I have a new dauntless too, and have had this happen a couple times (though I've only burned it for about a week since the weather is getting warmer). The first time it happened, it sounded like a jet plane and really startled me. It lasted for a solid 15 minutes. It then didn't happen again for a few more burns... before happening again but lasting a shorter amount of time. I just chalked it up to normal usage but have no proof of that. I am also having a large problem with chemical fumes, and even after a week, it's not going away. The Dauntless was the largest stove that fit in the space so I didn't have other options. Frustrating for sure.