Vermont Castings Merrimack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't know, exactly. There are air burn tubes at the top of the firebox, with some sort of super heat shield behind that. The flames tend to "dance" at the top of the firebox then exit out towards the top/front. Then back across the top of the insert to the 6" flu. It is mezzmurizing to watch...

can anyone tell me exactly how bad is the merrimacks fan noise? what would u describe the noise level at?

very close to buying one.

Musky Hunter,

That looks like a very reasonable deal to me. Mine was about $4300 installed. $3052 for Merrimack (-$250 VC rebate), then about $775 in chimney lining materials (liner, insulation, cap). Then about $700 for installation and delivery.

Mica,

The noise level is defined as precisely as scientifically possible outside of an anechoic chamber in one of my previous posts. The full range of decibel (dBA) ratings is detailed by fan speed level. There is also a link to a wikipedia article on how a decibel rating translates to actual sound. If you want a subjective opinion... my opinion is that the sound level is livable, but very noticeable on high speeds. At 30% fan speed, which is blowing decently, the sound level is like a quiet dishwasher which I think is livable. (see the decibel ratings on the new ones). At full speed the noise is very annoying and is roughly equivalent to an electric hand mixer running full time in your living room. Never as loud as a vacuum cleaner or shop vac. I wouls say it depends on where you are putting it. Mine is in my living room next to my TV where me and my family spend 50% of our time in the house, so it is right there with us. I am also a stickler for quiet, so if routine noises don't bother you this may not either. We live in the country and it is very quiet here. The only thing you can hear for miles around is my Merrimack on high! Just kidding! :)

Musky,

I went with a Jotul, but when I was considering the Merrimack a few weeks ago I talked to about 10 shops. The best price I could find on the stove was $2000, plus 400 for the cast iron surround. My best price soup to nuts was $ 3747

Installs varied from 450 - 700 depending on the shop (and/or the installer), not including a chimney sweep of your existing chimney before the install (recommended) of $70-100 (discounted since he was also performing the install).

Here is my list of prices for reference...I like to shop around :)

Merrimack
Retail - 2593
Northfield Cast Iron Surround Retail - 499

CAFD
Southington, CT
(860) 621-9313

CAFD Discount 1 - 2105
CAFD Discount 2 - 2000
Northfield Surround.
Retail - 499
CAFD Discount - 392

Install
CAFD Liner (30 ft) - 630
CAFD Labor - 595 install 125 Sweep - 725
CAFD total (installed) - 3747 with sweep 3622 without sweep

Stovepipe RI
Stove + surround - 3170
Install - 400
Liner - 600
Total - 4200

Wakefield Fireplace
Stove & Surround - 2700
Liner 600
Install 550
Total - 3850

Stove King
Stove & Surround 3150
Liner 550 25 foot

Franklin Fireplace
Stove & Surround - 3092

MAINLINE HEATING & SUPPLY
Stove - 2593 + 499 surround

Stove Depot
Stove & Surround - 2593 + 499

Natick Fireplace
Stove 2500 + 450
550 Liner
Block off plate bottom $50 and top
Install - 700

-------------------

micaaronfl

When I was looking at the Merrimack a dealer told me Vermont Castings "upgraded" to a plastic fan as the older metal ones caused too much noise and rattled over time...

Thanks for making me feel good, but I say they got me for $500 or so.

I normally research and become well informed before a purchase but not in this case.

They win.

wow a 250 dollar rebate, anyone know if that is still avalible for the merrimack? i emailed vermont castings but i didnt get a response to an earlier question.

My September 17, 2010, Oregon dealer invoice was $2593, minus $250 rebate which he took off, plus $229 for classic steel surround. Delivered from Kentucky to Oregon, with that cost in paid by dealer. Installer was separate business named All Fuel. Their labor was $550, venting $488.79, and permit for $119, for a total install cost at $1157.79. Total: $3730.79.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get heat into other rooms with a wood insert. I have an electric heat pump and that has a 1 1/2 horsepower fan (which i was told by another dealer thats more than enough to push the heat through the other rooms) that pushes through my basement. i have also return vents at the top of the wall in most rooms. i am not a big fan of ceiling fans so im lookign for an alternative low cost solution. I was told by another dealer to install vents in the celing above the wood insert but i figure that wouldnt do anything without some way of pushing the heat through.

micaaronfl said:
does anyone have any suggestions on how to get heat into other rooms with a wood insert. I have an electric heat pump and that has a 1 1/2 horsepower fan (which i was told by another dealer thats more than enough to push the heat through the other rooms) that pushes through my basement. i have also return vents at the top of the wall in most rooms. i am not a big fan of ceiling fans so im lookign for an alternative low cost solution. I was told by another dealer to install vents in the celing above the wood insert but i figure that wouldnt do anything without some way of pushing the heat through.

Just a thought....

http://gizmodo.com/5157470/room-to-room-fan-helps-cut-down-on-your-energy-bill

340x_room-to-room-fan.jpg

yeah i have seen them they just kinda look like hell. plus my doorways are small enough and im tall so i will definitely be banging my head into them

I would not recommend burning with the doors open. besides, we can hear the crackle of the fire as it starts... once it gets going, you'll forget about the noise and catch yourself watching the flames. Besides, if you have the fan on high you won't hear much else! VC, please fix your fan noise!

Dura Vent Kit

This is what I got for $495. Could of bought for $408, but I didn't know what to buy. So i guess I happy, just wish it was 316 sst.

Flex Kit 6DF304-15K

3 Spacers 6DFS-S 4668 (these look galvanized)

Note: my items were 304 sst. It also comes in 316 sst (better stainless grade)

I will report on the $835 install on saturday. If it only takes him 2 hours i am going to be pissed.

Also, the Dura Vent box say if you buy on the internet the warrenty is void.

Saturday Install

3 men 1.5 hours for $835. They did a good job but the price is just rediculas. They did not use the spacers since these are for a round pipe in a round flue. They did not seal where the damper was located. They sealed at the top of the chimney.

does anyone have contact information for vermont castings? email address ? there site doesnt have any just a thing to contact your dealer.

vector1701 said:
The only thing I could find was:

62 Vermont Casting Road
Bethel, VT 05032
802-234-2300

and

149 Cleveland Drive
Paris, Kentucky 40361
1 (800) 525-1898
I hate to say it but that's probably all you'll be able to find on them. They are notorious for being near impossible to contact. Yes dealers are supposed to deal with all issues. I love my Vc DW but I can't speak for the customer service personally. I bought mine used and have never tried to deal with any warranty issues. I tried to seek help from the company while trying to chose between two of their stoves, but could not get a response.

Maybe someone will chime in with a different response. Good luck!

micaaronfl said:
Hi everyone, new to the forums.

i moved into a house that is about 2500 SQ feet, 3800 SQ FT including the unfinished basement (Colonial Style in PA).

There is a family room with a fireplace that is completely inefficient. I am looking for a wood insert and I was suggested by the local fireplace dealer that a merrimack would do wonders. I am looking to heat the house and not just the family room. My house does not have an open floorplan, just hallways connected. The dealer said since i have a house fan with return vents the heat should be taken to the rest of the house. I do not need the basement heater as its unfinished more concerned about the living room, dining and bedrooms. I have never owned a fireplace before so is what the dealer telling me true?

I also see that their are several issues everyone has posted.

Fan issue- did anyone get this resolved?
glass issue - i could live with it
lastly the most important to me is the tax credit - is the merrimack not covered? I was qouted with install 5,100. The dealer said it was covered, anyone have an answer?

Any help would be appreciated as im running out of time in 2010 to take advantage of tax credit.

i have a montpelier which i love, in case you are not familiar it is a bit smaller than the merrimack, but do not believe the house fan argument unless the intake is very close to the stove, i am in a 2000ft home 1000 on one side, then a hallway then a turn into the other 1000or so, have a second heating unit in the back half which is always running. i figure i heat teh front 1500 witht he stovve but the far reaches will be about 67 s compared to the 77 in the 1000 ft open to where the stove is. in two weeks i am getting some corner fans installed and will keep you advised of how they work, but hallways and broken floor plans are NOT fun when trying to eliminate the oil or gas man

shayes8888 said:
Nope, not catalytic. Less maintenance, they say. We hope VC will deal with the fan issue.

unfortunately i don not think they are going to deal with the fan issue, the issue has been the same on the montpelier which was there first insert three years ago. WPB adressed the flimsy casing and the vibration as the cause of the sound and that was the case with the montpelier. had to wedge something underneath it to deaden the vibration and the noise went down dramatically. really seems silly that i had to do that nd they cant figure it out. with that and my last post i must say i love the stove. i wish i would have waited another year because i love the bigger fire box int eh merrimac. been 25 hear for two days adn the front of the house stays at 68 with the front furnace dormant. wife just got our most recent gas billl(which we are on a plan for, meaning we pay the same all year round) and after a full year of burning my gas usage went down by 50pct. and i think the usage for the pool heater went up. haha...when are they going to make a stove to heat my pool?